Are these cannas virused? (cos Ill dump if they are)

ourarka

Are these cannas virused? (cos Ill dump if they are)

Post by ourarka »

Hi guys,

Having had good success from Canna seed last Spring, and my cannas not quite being as big a feature as they used to be, I am wanting some opinion on whether my current plants are virused. If yes, I am prepared to destroy the and start again from seed as would like a good healthy garden full. Otherwise these will be used to refresh my borders next year, alongside the current ones in the ground (which look similar to these but were harder to photograph).
Attachments
C Indica I believe, which have been container grown this year
C Indica I believe, which have been container grown this year
C Pretoria (ground)
C Pretoria (ground)
More container C wars.
More container C wars.
Unknown container canna
Unknown container canna
C Wars. Also container and down in lose proximity to pic 1
C Wars. Also container and down in lose proximity to pic 1
griphuz

Re: Are these cannas virused? (cos Ill dump if they are)

Post by griphuz »

Nope, they're all clean. Just some caterpillar damage I guess,....nothing to worry about.

Kind regards,
Remko.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Pretoria showing minimal virus, but those types always look dodgy! Besides that, just the usual September slug invasion
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I think you need to hold a leaf up to the light and look to see if the veins are continuous, or broken. Some useful pictures at the bottom of this page:

http://www.canna-collection.org.uk/canna-virus.html

I've found it difficult to do on the ones like your photo of the stripy one
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Yes, I remember battling with Pretoria in the past but pretty sure the veins are continuous. This is all good news thanks. What kind of range does the virus cover? I mean, if you had one virused example somewhere - how far away would others have to be in order for it to be unlikely it would spread?
flounder

Post by flounder »

ourarka wrote:Yes, I remember battling with Pretoria in the past but pretty sure the veins are continuous. This is all good news thanks. What kind of range does the virus cover? I mean, if you had one virused example somewhere - how far away would others have to be in order for it to be unlikely it would spread?
It can be spread by sap sucking insects so if some one in your area has some dodgy plants you could be at risk. Of course by the same reckoning don't lose sleep wondering what is happening in other gardens, just watch out for aphids and the like
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The veins should look clean lines, and the Pretoria definitely doesn't look clean to me. The leaf on the right the veins are blistering out into the surrounding areas
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

Most just look like they have had a good chomp from the caterpillars, i have some cannas also been eaten i have had a right old job on my hands with those pests. The one that dave mentioned does look virsused.
jezza

Post by jezza »

The australia i bought from crews turned out to be virused so i yanked them out.