Planting out canna's.

karl66

Planting out canna's.

Post by karl66 »

Are there any canna's that are as hardy as say a musa basjoo?, I've read most can survive if planted deep?, whats the best one/one's for hardiness with minimal protection. karl.
Kristen

Re: Planting out canna's.

Post by Kristen »

They are like Dahlias in that regard ... but ... IMHO they will rot if they get too Wet & cold, and if they (and Dahlias) don't they will be slow to start in the Spring, and thus slow to flower too.

If you are on light land it is worth a try, but on heavy land I don't think its worth it.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I gave up trying to leave them out, it is pretty easy to bring them in and then when you divide them the next year you end up with loads.

I had two orange punch last year now I have 6 and a few of those are ready to be divided again
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ok, I like the Tropicana type so may give some a bash. karl.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Mine have always survived outside, with a little mulch and a sheltered aspect. However, I am inclined to agree with Kirsten. Unless you have a really early, warm Spring they are very slow to get going. Mine are only just starting to get to a reasonable height now .... whereas some others (from seed and overwintered indoors) reached a good height with a nice flower display ...... and therefore lots more seeds!
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Unless you are in a really sheltered spot and have a mild Winter, I would not risk the 'Tropicana' hybrids outside, particularly if grown from seed and in their first year. Stuttgart seems to be hardy down here as there are clumps of it 8ft high and the same across left in permanently same as Ehemanii. It mainly depends on the soil and the Winter temps.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I leave alot of mine out, florence vaughn does well but they are planted deep, close to the house foundation with lots of mulch..I also get more heat for sumer..I think any can be left out with say 6 inchs of leaf mulch on top
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

you can keep them planted outside indicas are great for that but if you are in the UK there really is no advantage to doing this as the growth takes longer due to the plants having to wait for the soil to warm up, this resulting mainly in smaller plants. Best method would be to store start off in the warmth inside then plant out once frost has gone. I have two that i left out they have had lots of water and feed and have managed 2 1/2 ft and have been eaten a lot by the slugs when growth started. ones started indoors are now 6ft some are just under 6ft.