Canna p-stem protection

otorongo

Canna p-stem protection

Post by otorongo »

Can they be protected like nanas?

I just don't like the idea of losing the tops and starting from scratch, especially since I'm not digging them up.

Since mine are small, perhaps I could just mulch the first few inches of the p-stem at the bottom, so at least when the frosty season ends I have some stem length to start with?
flounder

Re: Canna p-stem protection

Post by flounder »

My experience being, if ANY damage occurs to the stem, it just shuts it down and sends up new ones. The only way is probably to hope for no temps below 5c this winter which I'm afraid you've more chance of finding rocking horse poo
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Cheers. 5C? I thought they would easily take anything down to 0. Oh well.

The main stems are accompanied by smaller/younger ones, so maybe I'll just cut the main ones to ground level, remove the leaves on the small ones and cover them with cloches stuffed with something insulating, just for an experiment. If the small stems survive, great; if they don't, the cloches should help the corms (or whatever you call them) in the ground sail through the winter.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I think you just don't want them to freeze .
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

This is a really interesting question Otorongo. I'd never thought of protecting Cannas before but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense. The only Canna I grow is C. tuerckheimii (for the foliage not the flowers) and last winter I tried to keep them in leaf by digging them up and keeping them in a frost-free greenhouse over winter. It didn't work very well and they looked rather ill for most of the Spring and are only starting to look good now. This winter I might dig one up but leave another in the ground and protect with a wire cage and straw/leaves etc.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I've often dug up full stems of cannas to escape a frost but never have been able to keep them going even in the greenhouse in winter. Only some young shoots at the end of the season remain evergreen.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

lack of light will cause them to stop growing and deteriate. Best just to mulch well and cloche if you want an earlier start in spring, or or dig up and store almost dry and frost free over winter, then start off in Feb/March under glass. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright