Possible to keep ventricosum Green like maurellii?

nicebutdim

Possible to keep ventricosum Green like maurellii?

Post by nicebutdim »

I need to cut down these abyssinians to about 6"above the sol ,roller as well,is this feasible as I won't be able to bring them inside otherwise,anybody have any ideas? I know they should be kept above 6 C but this does not always work as I have discovered.I believe Ethiopeans cut these down roots as well and store them but I don't have any Ethiopeans nearby to ask.This must have happened before and I am hopeing someone knows the answer
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Possible to keep ventricosum Green like maurellii?

Post by Dave Brown »

nicebutdim wrote:I need to cut down these abyssinians to about 6"above the sol ,roller as well,is this feasible as I won't be able to bring them inside otherwise,anybody have any ideas? I know they should be kept above 6 C but this does not always work as I have discovered.I believe Ethiopeans cut these down roots as well and store them but I don't have any Ethiopeans nearby to ask.This must have happened before and I am hopeing someone knows the answer
Depends on size, as I had a 4ft ventricosum come through last winter in min of 2C, but lost 5 x 1ft at the same temp. Not as tough as Maurelii as a more lowland plant

ventricosum green 700 - 1100m
Maurelii 700 - 1600m
Montbeliardii up to 3300m and took -4C when dry.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by nicebutdim »

What I have noticed is that while appearing to have survived looking quite healthy,there was no growth at all
cuttting through the trunk? I could see the roller was black but the outer leaves looked good,but the plant was dead.This was from past attempts at keeping them whole,intact
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

If the roller is black and with no growth, it means the growth point has died.

If you cut back then scoop out the dead bit the Ensete will probably pup. This may take 2 or 3 months, and if all the leaves were left on you wouldn't see anything happening, but with them removed you'll see the growth buds develop :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright