Cannas in the shade

DAVIDEVANS

Cannas in the shade

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

I have just been digging my cannas up for winter and thought I would have a look on the internet on suggested methods of overwintering. I came across an article in the Telegraph from an interview with Hart Cannas which said that Cannas need partial to full shade. I understand that for the variegated varieties but goes against everything I had assumed for the normal ones. If that's true then I shall have to rethink my planting ideas for next year. Actually it is good news as my garden is East/West facing and that will give me a lot better options.
Dim

Re: Cannas in the shade

Post by Dim »

I think that canna with dark leaves need semi-shade, and green leaved varieties need full sun ... (thats the way we planted them in South Africa)
Blairs

Re: Cannas in the shade

Post by Blairs »

Dim wrote:I think that canna with dark leaves need semi-shade, and green leaved varieties need full sun ... (thats the way we planted them in South Africa)
That is what I do, though in the UK I do think that they are better in full sun. My Red Russian Canna this year was in a semi-shade position and put on little growth. It may also have been the dry summer so it is not conclusive.