Cold tolerant Heliconia brought under cover 15th Nov

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Cold tolerant Heliconia brought under cover 15th Nov

Post by Dave Brown »

Most Heliconia are tropical in origin, and require fairly high temperatures and humidity to do well, but this one grows well in our growing season, and can even take light frosts with no damage. The plant originally came from Don Vickers, and he was told it was Helicionia bihai, but I have been advised that bihai is tropical and would not tolerate anything below 10C.

I got in touch with Don to see if there was any more info, and he said it had come from the old Mulu, and they were calling it bihai. They said it had come from India, and sounds like it may be from the same area as Alocasia odora 'Indian' and Colocasia Burgundy Stem. Both of those are cold tolerant, so that all seems to fit.

Anyway, as we are forecast temps as low as -3C tonight, I've moved 2 of the 3 under cover, the 3rd is left out :wink:

pic is of the two being brought under cover
Attachments
2013-11-15 11-56-06 Heliconia.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Cold tolerant Heliconia brought under cover 15th Nov

Post by GREVILLE »

They look good, Dave. I split up my large, old H. lutea into three and have only recently brought them inside. Seems to have liked this treatment as they are all still sending out new shoots and rollers.
Alexander

Re: Cold tolerant Heliconia brought under cover 15th Nov

Post by Alexander »

Heliconias are from the tropical part of the New World. So maybe it comes origenally from upland Mexico.

Alexander