Musa Basjoo or Sikkimensis.

doncasterpalmguy123

Musa Basjoo or Sikkimensis.

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Hello all. I am hopefully getting either a muss basjoo or Sikkimensis as a christmas gift. I would like to know which would be better suited to the northern Yorkshire climate so i can have an input on which species i get :lol: . Apparently Sikkimensis is hardier and faster growing but basjoo has a better water capacity and the leaves are more robust. For me the faster the better but i want the damn thing to survive the winter.

So basically, can anyone with experience in this area please advise me on which species to get. i will appreciate it greatly and hopefully i will be a successful first time banana grower. :D
grub

Re: Musa Basjoo or Sikkimensis.

Post by grub »

Basjoo icon_thumright
flounder

Post by flounder »

Basjoo is hardier and faster growing. sikkimensis needs a bit more heat, otherwise it spends most of its life wrapped in fleece
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Basjoo icon_cheers
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Sikkimensis is no longer planted out here (NW Kent) as lost the stems every year and only made 2 to 3 ft of regrowth the next season. After 3 to 4 seasons it fails to re-emerge :roll:

Basjoo is stem hardy in an average winter and if killed to ground level recovers to 10 to 12ft in a season. :)

No comparison, Musa basjoo every time from me :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by lee1125 »

Basjoo - This was only the second year i have been growing mine but the only protection i gave mine last winter was a mulch and they came back with no problem.
doncasterpalmguy123

Thanks for all the replies guys. If only basjoo had the red coloration in the leaves like some sikkimensis have. :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Basjoo hardier. But ... I think the leaves are narrower and unattractive compared to the much more impressive and big paddle shaped leaves of Sikkimensis.

Sikkimensis seedlings only a quid or two on eBay, so I'm now buying half a dozen each year (growing from seed is very hit and miss, happy to leave that to others!), overwintering them in the conservatory, and growing on in pots (plunged in the ground) for one year (plants still fit in conservatory, just!, that second winter) and then planting out and leaving to fend for themselves - pseudostem wrapped with chicken wire and straw - IF we get a mild winter chances are that they will survive and be a fabulous height for that following summer.

Someone suggested to me planting seed-grown each year and when I have a plant that survives the winter I have found one more naturally hardy, and to then naturalise that one :)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

P.S. I'm a long way South of Yorkshire, so this may not be an option for you.

Dry-store an Ensete instead perhaps? There's a video on here of Dave hacking all the leaves of his and then lugging it in the for the winter
kata

Post by kata »

I bought a Basjoo in late summer off a member here then another in the sale for £8.00 double stem. Is it true the stem dies in winter?
which would be better suited to the northern Yorkshire climate so i can have an input on which species i get
Its a Christmas pressie so no choice, get a voucher.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
doncasterpalmguy123

Yes I've seen caves video before. I love his dedication. I suppose i could do the same here, the climates not too much cooler to down there. i may just have to bring an ensette in earlier. How much could i pick one o them up for? Im really surprised they don't die after having their leaves hacked off and then pulled out the ground with no water for months :lol:
doncasterpalmguy123

Theres no bloody basjoo seeds on ebay only sikkimensis. :lol:
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys. If only basjoo had the red coloration in the leaves like some sikkimensis have. :lol:
In my experience. Most young Basjoo's have a red streak to the back's of the leaves but tend to lose this once over 4to5ft, and most sikki's lose most of there colouration once they get taller

Kristen, what sort of height P stem are your Basjoo's getting too ?
Leigh
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Sikkimensis(red tiger) has grown far better for me,down here.I have just been to check on mine.This is what I found.
I cut the leaves off a few weeks ago to stop any damage from storm st.Jude. As you can see it is still growing(in December!).
The leaves have remained intact the whole summer,the only thing that spoiled the look,was snail damage on the emerging roller.If I lived up north I would still grow one but in a sunken pot.
Attachments
002.JPG
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Here are a couple of pics. to try to convince you, that they are worth the extra hassle protecting them.
The second picture shows a leaf of one of the many pups it sent up this summer.
Attachments
004.JPG
005.JPG