Which red leaved cannas can be grown from seed?

ourarka

Which red leaved cannas can be grown from seed?

Post by ourarka »

I just wondered if anyone knew which red (or burgundy etc...) leaved cannas can be grown from seed? I believe 'Bronze Scarlet' is one but very keen to grow some to offset all the green in the garden, but like to grow from seed as have good success rate, plus the guarantee of virus free.
Mowgley

Re: Which red leaved cannas can be grown from seed?

Post by Mowgley »

To be fair there aren't many cannas with dark leaves you can grow from seed.
Most are brought as rhizomes.
I got canna skyhawk to germinate which I ordered from karchesky cannas in the states.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I grew a handful from seed I had kept from Canna Mystique and pretty much all of them came up red. This was their first year, and I planted them in shade (plus I've found that they are a bit weedy if not re-start with some good warmth) so I can't tell you, yet, how well they might do come flowering time (as I presume they won't be coming True from seed).
brendan

Post by brendan »

ourarka wrote:I just wondered if anyone knew which red (or burgundy etc...) leaved cannas can be grown from seed? I believe 'Bronze Scarlet' is one but very keen to grow some to offset all the green in the garden, but like to grow from seed as have good success rate, plus the guarantee of virus free.
I grew Bronze Scarlet from seed the season before last and all grew with burgundy leaves. Some flowered but never set seed so I dug up and over wintered frost free then started them off again in spring. Nearly all of them flowered this year but still no seed pods formed not sure why as they came from seed in the first place. Overall though I don't think its a very impressive Canna.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

To be honest, I am not as fussed as to the flowers - so long as they have red leaves then that's what I am after. So many shades of green in the border that I want to increase the red. I have Canna Australia, which I will try to divide this year but this can't be grown from seed. Those suggestions sound good (actually just bought some bronze scarlet off eBay)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

ourarka wrote:So many shades of green in the border that I want to increase the red.
If its not one you grow perhaps try some Ricinus New Zealand Purple?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I really can suggested any red leaved canna's that grow from seed sorry, most i know are from rhizome. I know this topic is about cannas and i do apologize in advance but have you tried growing cotinus? they fit the exotic look fantastic! and hardy to. Fantastic color which will blend with canna's great!
Attachments
Cotinus_Royal_Purple.jpg
Cotinus_Royal_Purple.jpg (71.86 KiB) Viewed 1949 times