canna musifolia grande

benbaron

canna musifolia grande

Post by benbaron »

Hi all,

Quite fancy a bash at one of these - anybody have a small rhizome they want to sell?

Cheers
Ben
Blairs

Re: canna musifolia grande

Post by Blairs »

I need to split some of mine as they did excellently this year. I got them from Harts Canna originally (http://www.hartcanna.co.uk/catalogue.html#foliage).
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Pretty sure I grew mind from seed, can't remember where the seed came from though - another member perhaps.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I didn't think these were hardy, or do you dig them up ?? Seem to remember somewhere saying they could not be dried out.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Blairs »

Dave Brown wrote:I didn't think these were hardy, or do you dig them up ?? Seem to remember somewhere saying they could not be dried out.
I dig them up and store with the rhizome dampened when needed - I grow them in pots. I only removed the leaves this year, so the stalks are all still on and new leaves are pushing up. Last Feb the new stalks just grew by themselves to over 6'' so I had no option but to start them off since they already did it themselves.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Dave Brown wrote:I didn't think these were hardy, or do you dig them up ?? Seem to remember somewhere saying they could not be dried out.
Mine have not over wintered very well, but they were just stored same-as the other Cannas, so got no attention in the Winter. They grew massively from seed in a single season though (but didn't flower than I remember, so perhaps no possibility to keep self-seed)
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Kristen wrote:
Mine have not over wintered very well, but they were just stored same-as the other Cannas, so got no attention in the Winter. They grew massively from seed in a single season though (but didn't flower than I remember, so perhaps no possibility to keep self-seed)
I did get mine to flower last year but only got 1 seed as the flowers kept falling off in the wind before properly forming seeds. Not sure if they hybridize or produce pure seed.