Musa basjoo seedling tips on growing.

doncasterpalmguy123

Musa basjoo seedling tips on growing.

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Hello everyone I've recently purchased a small musa basjoo banana plant via amazon. I really don't want to kill it but its my first time growing banana plants, I'm more of a palm guy hence my username! :lol: Anyway i would really love your advice on growing feeding watering etc. Here is a youtube video showing you my specimen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QduNd5j1 ... 0XWIA3Z0Sg
Attachments
Also can anyone enlighten me as to what these brown spots are on this leaf? Should i be worried. My first thought was that its cold damage, probably left in a greenhouse at the nursery i purchased it from? Please share your thoughts.
Also can anyone enlighten me as to what these brown spots are on this leaf? Should i be worried. My first thought was that its cold damage, probably left in a greenhouse at the nursery i purchased it from? Please share your thoughts.
flounder

Re: Musa basjoo seedling tips on growing.

Post by flounder »

A quick summary of what I would do.
repot in a slightly larger pot in a 50/50 mix of multi purpose compost/perlite. If you're keeping it indoors, compost only needs to be very slightly damp....DO NOT over water.
End of March it might need repotting again, same mix but you can step up the watering. Miracle grow an be used indoors, but in the warmer months outside(because you don't want smelly stuff indoors) you can also use a compost tea, pelleted poultry manure, homemade compost etc. When it's really starting to spurt, you can't feed it enough or water it too much but free draining, not sitting in water.
That leaf looks like cold water damage nothing to worry about. Also it looks like a tissue cultured plant, not a seedling :wink:
That's enough to get you going, loads of threads on here icon_thumleft
doncasterpalmguy123

Ok thanks for all the information there. That should keep me going! Will the plant be ok with the transition indoors? it seems to be fine at the moment. Also will the plant being a tissue culture grown one affect it in any way?
flounder

Post by flounder »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Ok thanks for all the information there. That should keep me going! Will the plant be ok with the transition indoors? it seems to be fine at the moment. Also will the plant being a tissue culture grown one affect it in any way?
Yes and....no :wink:
doncasterpalmguy123

Great. Thanks for the replies flounder. Cant wait to get it in the ground in may time! :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Not sure what others think, but I would try to avoid much heat ... I think heat will encourage it into leaf, and then there won't be enough light for the growth to make-good. Frost-free will be fine, but the cooler it is the more important it is to avoid over watering.

Once it starts into growth try to get it outside on days that are warm enough. Growth made under glass will not have much protection against the sun, and when you put your lovely specimen out in, say, May/June the leaves will suffer from bright sun and you'll have to wait enough month before fresh leaves are made and replace the, then, manky looking ones.
doncasterpalmguy123

Kristen wrote:Not sure what others think, but I would try to avoid much heat ... I think heat will encourage it into leaf, and then there won't be enough light for the growth to make-good. Frost-free will be fine, but the cooler it is the more important it is to avoid over watering.

Once it starts into growth try to get it outside on days that are warm enough. Growth made under glass will not have much protection against the sun, and when you put your lovely specimen out in, say, May/June the leaves will suffer from bright sun and you'll have to wait enough month before fresh leaves are made and replace the, then, manky looking ones.
Thanks Kristen, thats an interesting thought. I will try and keep it cool with not too much water :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They do put on a small amount of growth when temps get above 8C, but light levels are a lot higher outside than inside. It is very difficult for humans to judge changing light levels as our eyes adapt so well. Outside light levels may be at 4,000 lux in winter sun, but less than half that on a sunny windowsill and as low as 300 lux 3ft inside the window.

I agree with what both Flounder and Kristen have said, keep cool as any growth made inside will be weak, and wasting the plant's energy. Put outside in a sheltered place as often as possible when mild. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Thanks for the third opinion dave. I shall take everything on board and hopefully have a successful plant. :D