Rotting musa basjoo

L33ETH1

Rotting musa basjoo

Post by L33ETH1 »

Hi all, first post on here.....

I have a 3 to 4 year old musa that I wrapped up for winter a few months ago. I've just been out to check on it to find a bit of a mushy mess on the outer stem of the plant. I didn't want to cut the plant to the base as I'd like to retain some height so I've stripped back to good solid stem and eliminated as much moisture as possible before recovering in fleece again.

I'm thinking I should possibly get some hay and put that as a barrier between the fleece and the plant?

Has anyone else had similar issues or can anyone recommend some tips to stop it rotting off?

Many thanks

Lee
Tom2006

Re: Rotting musa basjoo

Post by Tom2006 »

I would personally just remove all protection so its airs. If frost the is forecast just wrap well.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi L33eth and welcome icon_salut

As we are not out of winter yet I would have left alone. The outer leaf bases get frosted, die, and protect the centre of the plant. If you remove all the dead material before the end of winter you risk any later hard frost killing the newly exposed trunk.

Rain and water does not cause a problem generally, but if you are worried about water ingress you can cover the top with a plastic cover, but allow air to enter.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by L33ETH1 »

Thank you for the replies. Hmm valid point re removing old dead growth. I think I'll take it inside and wrap it in straw for the remainder of the winter just in case. It was very mushy which prompted me to remove those parts to stop the rot spreading. I think I'll let it air and dry out before I do anything else.

Thanks again
kata

Post by kata »

My two look terrible but I have left them,

If they survive all this damp rain I don't know, they look brown...time will tell.

Welcome and good luck L33ETH1, let us know if they survive.

:mrgreen:
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

Thank you. I'll update the post in spring.

I let it air in the little glimpse of sunshine we had here today and then re wrapped it using straw as a bit of a barrier between the fleece! Like you say, we will see. Fingers crossed!!
kata

Post by kata »

Mine look brown because we get that much rain, its all sodden at the plant base and not green on the stem like when I planted them.

I think your doing right allowing in sunshine.

icon_sunny
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

Oh dear. Doesn't sound good but hopefully they'll be ok below the surface!

I think if wrapped mine a bit too tightly before. No room to breathe!
kata

Post by kata »

No, and they look worse than you can Imagine L33ETH1

Bought one from a member here
basjoo2013.jpg
Bought this one from Homebase, both plants last years stock.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Attachments
basjoobytwohb2013.jpg
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

Eww, they look rotten! Mine isn't as bad as those. Like I said, hopefully underground they'll be fine and sprout up again in spring!

I know for certain I'll be using straw in future to ensure they can breathe better
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

That is how they look Kata, but come Mar/Apr you can peel away the soggy mess cutting the stingy fibres with scissors and they will look pristine underneath. :wink:

Basically none of the plant can survive frosting, so the outer bits die and go mushy, but they protect the inner bits provided not too cold, or a freeze does not last too long. If you get super cold or a lengthy freeze the stem is killed, but should resprout from ground level in spring :D
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by L33ETH1 »

Thanks for the info. I presumed that any sign of rotting wasn't a good sign and would eventually rot the rest of the stem.
kata

Post by kata »

Really, I am Impressed Dave, clever plants!

Thanks, now the worry is at least halved, maybe I will order some roll of fleece as it could freeze yet. Be a shame to halt whats there in height.

I can't wait to see the green again.. :lol:

He-he, not dead yet L33ETH1