Canna Tropicanna Hardy?

gtiboy

Canna Tropicanna Hardy?

Post by gtiboy »

Does anyone know how hardy Canna Tropicanna is? can it survive a UK winter? If not how do you store them over winter?
Blairs

Re: Canna Tropicanna Hardy?

Post by Blairs »

gtiboy wrote:Does anyone know how hardy Canna Tropicanna is? can it survive a UK winter? If not how do you store them over winter?
Leaves are normally blackened after a hard frost - say -2. The stalk then tends to be mush as well. The rhizome is hardy to -5 if kept well drained and mulched. The problem is more of how long it takes to regrow - you need the heat in a GH or house to kick start growth.

I normally cut off the foliage in Nov and store in my garage. I spray then with water every so often as they need to be kept slightly damp. Tropicanna are one of the easiest to overwinter for me.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Unlikely to come through hard winters and while you could cloche those planted out to boost growth with extra warmth you still may not see flowering until late Autumn

Always quicker to start potted in a warm place and plant out by summer.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

The first year I had Tropicanna black, I lifted them and stored in 95% dry compost in the shed. They were frozen at -7C for 1-2 weeks. I had practically 0% rot to the rhizomes on this variety, whereas Australia had at least 50% rot.