Ensete montbeliardii

nige pook

Ensete montbeliardii

Post by nige pook »

Hi guys,been out of touch for a while and only just found on jungleplants that they apparently don't sell plants any longer! Does anybody know if anybody else sells montbeliardii? Didn't find the time to source One last year and fear I may have missed my chance :-(
Nige
sanatic1234

Re: Ensete montbeliardii

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yes turn it tropical do nige. http://turn-it-tropical.co.uk/scripts/p ... Category=4

Hope its OK Dave posting the link?
pdid

Post by pdid »

sanatic1234 wrote:Yes turn it tropical do nige. http://turn-it-tropical.co.uk/scripts/p ... Category=4

You'll have a job getting one from Simon unless you know something I don't. The 'Montbeliardii' on his site is one of those plants that he stocked once never to be seen again and has never removed the listing.

Your best bet would be to email jungle plants to see if any suppliers bought their remaining stock. Otherwise your in the same boat as hiniba ie waiting for someone to prop one and hopefully being fortunate enough to grab one.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Why can't we find Hiniba?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Tom2006 wrote:Why can't we find Hiniba?
Because it was only commercially propagated once by the late David Constantine of Koba Koba back around 2006/7. The few sold back in 2011 were produced by a member hacking his plant down, and selling a few pups he produced.

To my knowledge there are no commercial supplies at this time.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

pdid wrote:
sanatic1234 wrote:Yes turn it tropical do nige. http://turn-it-tropical.co.uk/scripts/p ... Category=4

You'll have a job getting one from Simon unless you know something I don't. The 'Montbeliardii' on his site is one of those plants that he stocked once never to be seen again and has never removed the listing.

Your best bet would be to email jungle plants to see if any suppliers bought their remaining stock. Otherwise your in the same boat as hiniba ie waiting for someone to prop one and hopefully being fortunate enough to grab one.
Oh i didn't know that pdid, thanks for letting me know though. I do know that jungleplants did sell some stock to suppliers as i spoke to penny when buying my montbelliardii. She didn't mention who they sold stock to though. But a good idea to phone up to see who does have the stock and if they sold montbelliardii or if it was other stock.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I would sell you mine but couriers tend not to take 7ft plants.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Dave Brown wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Why can't we find Hiniba?
Because it was only commercially propagated once by the late David Constantine of Koba Koba back around 2006/7. The few sold back in 2011 were produced by a member hacking his plant down, and selling a few pups he produced.

To my knowledge there are no commercial supplies at this time.
Thanks for the info. Dave. Where do they grow? Could be a decent business trip to get some? icon_thumright
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Himalayas for a guess?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Tom2006 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Dave. Where do they grow? Could be a decent business trip to get some? icon_thumright
I don't know anything about where David sourced his Hiniba from, but virtually all Ensete ventricosum cultivars have been bred in the mountains of Ethiopia (equatorial Africa). There are documented to be around 80 different forms grown across an area the size of the UK, so might need have an extended trip :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

What is this one dave Ensete perrieri :?: Article taken from Plant delights.

Ensete perrieri (Perrier's Banana) Ensete perrieri is a little known species of Ensete from Madagascar with a robust, beautifully bluish-waxy pseudostem that is distinctly swollen at the base. The straight, ascending leaves with yellowish midribs are held on very short stalks and form a shuttlecock-like crown. The large maroon flower is held on a short spike at the top of the plant above the foliage. Ensete perrieri will make a magnificent ornamental for tropical as well as many temperate regions. (Hardiness unknown)
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Thanks but have already tried an email last Wednesday , alas no reply from that.
Nige
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Seems it was Simon who bought up the montys from koba's anyway and he's also on the lookout for hiniba. Guess we are out of luck then unless someone decides to prop or T/C theirs but costs are prohibitive!
Nige
pdid

Post by pdid »

I've just received this email from Jungle seeds.

Hello Philip,

No we still have the stock and at this stage it is uncertain how we will proceed. Please feel free to contact us later this year if you still require a montbeliardii because we could probably supply.

Best regards
Penny White

JungleSeeds.

Tel: 01491 614765

Fax: 01491 612034

So they have kept their stock, best get in early if you want one!
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Jungleplants still have plant stock, :shock: I am surprised at that. Well if you want one get your name down for one. Once they are gone they will be hard to get. I seriously thought they had shifted the rest of there stock to other nurseries. Bonus pdid.