Batch of seeds

benbaron

Batch of seeds

Post by benbaron »

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share, just received a batch of seeds, got some Musa Nagensium, Musa Cheesmani and some Musa Balbsiana.

Currently soaking them all in some salt petre solution. Next step is to pop em in the propigator (home made, sat on top of a radiator at work ;). Temp in there is around the 35 deg mark during the day and cooler at night so should be ideal hopefully.
Thinking I will scarify a few of each as a test.....

Will let you all know my results.

Cheers
Ben
Somerset77

Re: Batch of seeds

Post by Somerset77 »

That's an excellent selection Of seeds.

Here's my thread regarding my experience with Nagensium from seed: viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=119&t=17968#p328725

I moved one on but still have 6!!
They are very fast growers too given the right food and position. I had to give my tallest a slight trim to a more manageable 6 ft ( after 1 season)! So could fit in the tunnel! It's still going mad now and would probably lift my tunnel up if I don't keep an eye on it! :lol:
In my experience in my garden they are the fastest banana I have, that's with competition from Ensetes, Musas, Siams and 'Montbeliardii''s! Love em! icon_thumleft
benbaron

Re: Batch of seeds

Post by benbaron »

Hi Paul,

thats a great posting and you must be so lucky to get that germination rate from what Ive been reading. I did try years ago with some seed but got nothing. I thought I would give it another go though as Im keen to fill my garden this year with Musa and Cannas.
Gone for a couple of rhizomes of the Musifolia Grande as well so hopefully we get a good summer.

If these lot germinate Ive no idea where i will put everything, Im filling my conservatory with ensetes and cannas at the moment, bargins from B&Q last year...they havent stopped growing either!!