Fertiliser - Musa and Canna

benbaron

Fertiliser - Musa and Canna

Post by benbaron »

Hi all,

Just after a quick bit of advice on which fertiliser is best for my favs - Musa and Cannas.

From previous reading high ratio of Nitrogen is the best? If that is the case then how about lawn feed - this seems to have a massive amount more than the others?

Cheers
Ben
flounder

Re: Fertiliser - Musa and Canna

Post by flounder »

I tend to avoid lawn feed for plants, that way there's absolutely no chance of using one that has a weed killer added.
I've used composted farmyard manure, pelleted chicken manure and a host of other stuff you can buy in bags and tubs.
I use loads of home made compost as a mulch, I have a water butt in which I put stinging nettles and water some plants with this. I use grass cuttings as well, good for bamboo too.
People have loads of weird and wonderful ways to feed their plants, I'm happy with my cheap way but you can experiment
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

flounder wrote:I tend to avoid lawn feed for plants, that way there's absolutely no chance of using one that has a weed killer added.

Ah - thats something I didnt think of...... :ahhh!:
kata

Post by kata »

Although I don't use it (lawn feed) I feel a thanks coming on for Flounder, thanks Flounder!!

I just ordered Wessex manure for my rose trees and Basjoos. Normally I use Miracle Gro for everything. In the house I have Phostrogen, I used to use that on our allottment. I have Miracle Gro, Nutri feed, and Tomorite.

:lol:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

benbaron wrote:
flounder wrote:I tend to avoid lawn feed for plants, that way there's absolutely no chance of using one that has a weed killer added.

I use it.......to my knowledge my lawn food has no weedkiller in it icon_study
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
flounder

Post by flounder »

The Codfather wrote:
benbaron wrote:

I use it.......to my knowledge my lawn food has no weedkiller in it icon_study
I tend to avoid it just in case I mis read it
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Ahhhhh,,,,,,I was going to say. :DD
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I normally use a tomato feed. Am going to also try some Nitrozyme this year to see if it zaps them into growth.
acphm

Post by acphm »

Hello,

cannas need a fertilizer with high nitrogen, a perfect option is fertilizers from dry blood (high nitrogen, a little of potasium, iron, aminoacids and organic matter). Aprox. NPK 10-0-4

For Musas are very important nitrogen and potasium, nitrate potassium (NPK 13-0-46) is a cheap option because organic potassium normally is expensive. I combine dry blood and nitrate potassium alternatively a week. A possibility for organic potasium is to prepare a banana skins infusion, but the true this option is low for big plants, only good for orchids.