I.D. help please - Musa?

samtobuk

I.D. help please - Musa?

Post by samtobuk »

While picking up my new palm and bamboo today, the kind seller also gave me a 'clump' of what looks like some kind of banana. Stems have mushed up a little over the winter, but looks pretty viable still so sure it will come back in the summer.

So ......... any guesses from what is there as to exactly what this is? Some of the leaves left over from last year don't look that Musa'ish to me though! :?
Attachments
Musa.jpg
Musa 3.jpg
GREVILLE

Re: I.D. help please - Musa?

Post by GREVILLE »

Doesn't look like Musa, more like ginger, a Hedychium gardenerianum perhaps? One of the leaves is more rounded in shape which could confirm you have been given one of the best gingers in cultivation.

If you scrape away some of the surface compost there should be a firm spreading rhizome just below the surface.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Ginger//Hedychium as Greville has said. Looks a good size for this time of year as mine are normally near ground level after frost.
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Thanks guys, yes there was something about the old leaves that didn't look quite bananary!

Just had a poke around, and yes there is a solid rhizome under the surface between the two visible 'clumps'.

Will be a nice surprise to let this one grow and see what develops. icon_tomato
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Flowers come late with these. If you keep it in a large tub in full sun they will probably come up early autumn, a little later in the ground.

The advantage of trying it in a tub first is that you can probably confirm its ID from the bloom and you'll be able to tell how hardy it is and therefore its suitability planted out. In the meantime you can store it almost dry and frost-free for the winter.