Musa acuminata turning black

Marmyshka

Post by Marmyshka »

Hello,
My banana plants have recently started to turn black (please see pictures attached). I am not sure if i over watered them or they have some sort of fungal infection or they are supposed to be like that icon_scratch they are about 6 months old and i have grown then from seed. Could someone shed some light for me pls? All leaves still look healthy apart from one plant where leaves started to turn slightly yeallow. They are planted in cacti soil (read online they need soil that drains quickly). Any help or advise would be much appreciated! Its first year of growing so i am still learning :D
Attachments
7DC93BFD-2EBB-4DF5-ADFC-591495BE9314.jpeg
C461204A-802F-4E4D-9DD3-8D769C93D7C3.jpeg
EA6CD01E-51C7-4C51-983B-A5B9119A53F1.jpeg
BE3A93A8-0BCF-40AC-8237-03362C94B6FD.jpeg
tatter

Post by tatter »

i don't see a problem here the pseudostem of Bananas and in particular this one are mottled black or brown .The lower leaf being yellow is also common and not a problem. It is almost impossible to overwater a banana whilst it is in growing season. What do you intend to do with it over winter ? icon_scratch icon_thumleft
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Marmyshka

Post by Marmyshka »

Thanks for responding :) i was planning on keeping them on my window sill although there might be a bit of a draft so maybe dining table :) could i also ask how often i would need to repot them? They are about 40cm in height and i am currently keeping them in 14 cm pot. thanks again :)

Marina
tatter

Post by tatter »

Hi Marina
I always find that roots growing out of bottom of pot ia a good sign it needs repotting.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow