is it time ?

Post Reply
User avatar
tatter
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:37 pm
Location: smethwick west mids
Contact:

is it time ?

Post by tatter » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:05 am

So is it time to start wrapping up the Bananas for winter or hang on for another week or so ?
After the cold of this weekend its going to be mild again for a week at least.
IF I wrap now and it warms up again is there a danger of them starting back into weak growth ?
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow


GREVILLEAJ
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:38 pm
Location: London

is it time ?

Post by GREVILLEAJ » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:53 pm

Unless a Narnia type freeze is imminently forecast you are probably safe to wait until a moderate frost has clobbered the leaves. Just cit them off and go down the top of the stem a few inches to undamaged tissue and that will be the size of the
'trunk' you cover till next spring.

Don't worry about any growth that returns under cover. It's always best to cut that off as it won't be worth looking at when you want to restart in spring.

....I assume we are talking about Musa basjoo :wink:


User avatar
tatter
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:37 pm
Location: smethwick west mids
Contact:

is it time ?

Post by tatter » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:33 pm

Musa basjoo and sikkimensis. Eneste Mureli already in shed
thaks for reply Greville
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow


User avatar
Arlon Tishmarsh
Posts: 6950
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Horizontal

is it time ?

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:03 am

Ive brought my variegated tanee (and pups) in as it got shredded in the strong winds. Sikkimensis and basjoo stay out permanently anyway. Hiniba and maurelli are still out but will come in at a later date when proper winter sets in.


Post Reply