Page 1 of 1

is it time ?

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:05 am
by tatter
So is it time to start wrapping up the Bananas for winter or hang on for another week or so ?
After the cold of this weekend its going to be mild again for a week at least.
IF I wrap now and it warms up again is there a danger of them starting back into weak growth ?

is it time ?

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:53 pm
by GREVILLEAJ
Unless a Narnia type freeze is imminently forecast you are probably safe to wait until a moderate frost has clobbered the leaves. Just cit them off and go down the top of the stem a few inches to undamaged tissue and that will be the size of the
'trunk' you cover till next spring.

Don't worry about any growth that returns under cover. It's always best to cut that off as it won't be worth looking at when you want to restart in spring.

....I assume we are talking about Musa basjoo :wink:

is it time ?

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:33 pm
by tatter
Musa basjoo and sikkimensis. Eneste Mureli already in shed
thaks for reply Greville

is it time ?

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:03 am
by Arlon Tishmarsh
Ive brought my variegated tanee (and pups) in as it got shredded in the strong winds. Sikkimensis and basjoo stay out permanently anyway. Hiniba and maurelli are still out but will come in at a later date when proper winter sets in.