Red Banana Damaged by Sun

richard49

Post by richard49 »

Hello,
This is my first banana plant which I believe to be the Musa (not sure though).

I'd kept in indoors through the winter and it was growing really well forming new leaves constantly.

Being new to this plant I'd read that it loves to be in full hot sun so when we have the first really hot days I moved the plant onto my patio to get the sun and heat.

Unfortunately this caused all of the leaves to get burnt and they had to be cut off.

New leaves are growing but the plant (to me anyway) looks very sad.

I've seen (in videos) that come next winter I can cut the plant back to within a few inches of the soil and this will force it to regenerate; is this right and will doing so give me back the plant I always wanted?

Any advice would be very welcome.
Attachments
Banana.jpg
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Hi Richard. This is Ensete maurellii. If you have kept it active all winter and it has opened a few leaves during that time.they won't tolerate this exceptionally strong April sun. New leaves that come out now should be unaffected.

Heat and sunlight are gòod for them right now but if you can keep them a little cooler during the summer more moderate temperatures bring out the intensity of their red colouring bettér.
richard49

Post by richard49 »

That's good to know, thank you so much.

I suppose I should have introduced it to the sunlight & heat by first putting it into the shade until it had acclimatised.

Will, at the start of next winter, cutting it back to within a few inches of the soil regenerate the plant?