Musa Siam Ruby (Weedby)

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Musa siam ruby

Post by Dave Brown »

Mark wrote:Thought I would show you a picture taken from B.Org from a guy who seems to have a Variegated Siam Ruby 8) it was one of the TCd batch that has started to show better colouring and then one of the members said that it was that colour due to it possibly being Variegated.
They are all varigated to a certain extent, with carmine main colour but with green splashes or stripes. The pics you show are very deep coloured so must be a sunny climate. The variegated bit looks like two tone camine. It will be interesting to see how it grows. :wink:

Mine is still requiring watering even though the Max is only about 10 to 15C with mins 7 to 9C. New leaves are definately green now, and will be Feb before they start to colour up again. :roll:
Mark wrote: I want one !!
You had the chance, but got greedy and picked up a multistemmed Canna instead :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kentgardener »

Mark wrote:Thought I would show you a picture taken from B.Org from a guy who seems to have a Variegated Siam Ruby 8) it was one of the TCd batch that has started to show better colouring and then one of the members said that it was that colour due to it possibly being Variegated.
Wow! That is definately variegted. icon_salut

Almost a bit too pink for me.... but.... I want one! :mrgreen:

Mine is still putting out new rollers in the breakfast room icon_scratch

John
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Dave Brown wrote:They are all varigated to a certain extent, with carmine main colour but with green splashes or stripes.
True Dave. I think the exciting thing about the one in Mark’s picture is that it looks like that special variegation that happens due to a lack of chlorophyll in parts of the leaf.

Very nice. icon_thumleft

John
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dave , I meant variegated as in white/cream. It turns the red into a pink. I have a Zebrina like it and a Sumatrana. There is talk of trying to TC it but being a chimera its unstable and you never know what you are going to get.

Just think if my siam cannas would have all been that colour :lol:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Well I now know what I want for Xmas :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Sad update

Post by Dave Brown »

My Siam Ruby was doing so well, and needed some water through winter even..... but then we had the cold spell and the consevatory temps were down to 7C at night but struggling to reach 10C by day. The main plant started to look a bit wilted, but the compost was damp, so not a lack of water issue. The stem was firm, but the leaves continued to wilt more and more until they snapped under their own weight. The roots don't look too bad so I presume it needed some water when warmer, but needed to be dry when cold..... difficult combination to achieve. The pups are fine by the way icon_scratch just a problem with the main stem.

I have cut all the leaves off except the roller, which look healthy. Just seems to be not enough roots to support the leaves on the plant. I have stood the soilball on newspaper to help absorb moisture from it. We'll have to see how it goes now.
Attachments
180109 pics 001.jpg
180109 pics 003.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kentgardener »

Hi Dave

My large one is still looking fine and dandy - the smaller ones are drooping sideways in an alarmingly floppy manner.

Looking at the soil (under a friends watering care while I was away) - the large one is on the dry side - the smaller ones are, of a what one would think was, a good dampness.

Seems that dryer may be better at time of year (could it be temperature or light levels or dormancy or ....)

Fingers crossed my big one stays erect. :shock:

John
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Ours has been very droopy over winter, and wasnt great in the summer.

Gut feeling is there may be tissue culture issues with some of them icon_aaargh
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Mines dead as a doornail :shock: There are a couple of pups out in the greenhouse that look okayish still though so hopefully they'll make it to spring
Last edited by SteveW on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owen

Post by Owen »

I have been really mean to mine- it didnt even get repotted form the pot it came in back in the summer! Its still looking ok on my kitchen side- slowly loosing leaves from the bottom up- but im not overly concerned at this behaviour.

However i will try to be a better person next year and try to encourage better growth from it. :)

In the first photo Dave- is that lots of pups at its base? or another plant?

Cheers
Owen
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

dave hope you havent overwaterd the siam ruby,one thing i have learned over the last couple of years with nanas they are very suspect to root rot in winter,after losing 6 nanas last year with over watering i have been very carefull this year,with a lot of perlite added to compost which have been used in the pots,and only when the compost is dry two inches on top,by sticking my finger in do i water, a glass full of water is used,its doing the trick this year though :DD
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mush... I am very cautious of overwatering, but this nana wilted in warmer dry (underglass weather) but then the cold spell set in and temps did not rise and maybe it was too wet at that point :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

No giving up on it, I put a soil themometer into the compost, and it was only 8C and the temp in pots is much more volatile than in soil when planted out. I set the Propatagor going and stood it on it. I then set the thermostat to give a soil temp of 20C. Nothing happened for 3 or 4 weeks, but I had marked the roller at the point where it emerged from the stem, so could monitor. Then the roller started to move. It has grown about a foot in the last couple of weeks and the pups have grown a new leaf each. The last couple of days I have moved it over to the window to get a bit of sun on it icon_thumright

I'm hoping I'm out of the woods now :wink:
Attachments
060309 Siam Ruby.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kentgardener »

I've definitely lost 2 out of 3 small microprops purchased in the UK during 2008 - 1 is still hangin in there (the smallest one surprisingly :?).

The larger of my gang of four (an offset from a Thai plant that an HTUK gave me) is looking fine and producing a pup. They seem to have been growing all winter (in my lean-to breakfast room) - where as other nana's have had a sleep.

Cheers

John
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Mine in the greenhouse flopped over a few weeks ago but it seems solid at soil level so we'll see.