Bird of paradise

sanatic1234

Re: Bird of paradise

Post by sanatic1234 »

In my opion you are doing the right thing as it obviously shows in your pictures. I can't wait till mine get mature hopefully i will have some nice flowers like yours :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Well done CL icon_thumright

Sanatic I think you will find most of the UK won't have a problem with sun as we don't get enough and not strong enough. :lol:

This was mine in 2007 before it got damaged. Sorry flowers were past their best as they had been open for nearly a month.
200607 BOP in flower.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by countrylover »

Thanks Dave :)
You can also spray your Strelitzia with plant hormone - gibberellic acid (800 ppm). Plants bloom earlier and produce larger number of inflorescence. But mostly it causes that the plant produces more elongated leaves but also more sturdy and wind resistant - I did some research on it at university.
Remember to keep it pot bound, feed with organic fertiliser (like sh**te) and talk to your plant :DD
By the way, the hormone mentioned above (GA3) also speeds up germination of Bird of Paradise and many other plants like palms, just google it :wink:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Thanks for the information countrylover. That is a very useful tip concerning the fertilizer. :)
Dave. I know exactly what you mean about not enough sun :-D sometimes it still suprises me that tropicals even grow in the uk. But there are a lot of cool climate tropicals so I have seen on various nursery websites.
Libby

Post by Libby »

so 4 years on...... has it flowered?