Musa Ae Ae

Post Reply
mushtaq86

Musa Ae Ae

Post by mushtaq86 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Musa Ae Ae

The supposedly rare banana plant that every man and his dog has on bananas.org :lol: :lol: :lol: I have had mine for two years now,if i could only keep one banana plant in the world it wouldn't be this,its a nice banana but extra care has to be taken is has to be kept in a half shade half sun to stop the white bits on the leaves going crisp,it also has to be kept in enricous soil or a soil with pH 6.0 or less to give it a white and green appearance on the leaves, normal compost will turn leaves all green.It grows 18ft in the tropics.
Attachments
Musa Ae Ae 1.JPG
Musa Ae Ae 2.JPG
Musa Ae Ae 3.JPG
Musa Ae Ae 4.JPG
Musa Ae Ae 5.JPG
Last edited by mushtaq86 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mushtaq86

Re: Musa Ae Ae

Post by mushtaq86 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:11 pm

While my Ae Ae stayed fine until April 2010,then took a nose dive as it did in April 2009 when the roots went all brown.The plant now is half the size it was, but has started to grow well now,plus i have another two to deal with :roll:

sanatic1234

Re: Musa Ae Ae

Post by sanatic1234 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi mush if you ever get a pup form it and want to sell it mate let me know, i will buy it from you. these are GORGEOUS!! was yours an import by any chance as the states seem to sell a lot of these, but here in the UK not a lot being sold really, and mainly sold out when i look. :roll:

mushtaq86

Re: Musa Ae Ae

Post by mushtaq86 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:06 pm

sanatic1234 wrote:Hi mush if you ever get a pup form it and want to sell it mate let me know, i will buy it from you. these are GORGEOUS!! was yours an import by any chance as the states seem to sell a lot of these, but here in the UK not a lot being sold really, and mainly sold out when i look. :roll:
Hi San

Got no pups,its not a nana that pups freely san,when it does pup half of the pups are all green,its why it will always have a high price.Tissue culture has been unsuccessful.It needs enricous soil,to stop it going all green,needs to be kept out of direct sunlight to stop the white bits going black.All my Ae Ae are from jungle seeds you could email them,to see if they will have any next year.

sanatic1234

Re: Musa Ae Ae

Post by sanatic1234 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:21 pm

It souns like a very fussy nana, I will give them an e-mail and see what they say thanks mush :wink:

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19742
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: Musa Ae Ae

Post by Dave Brown » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:44 pm

You must have got a good pay rise san :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk

sanatic1234

Re: Musa Ae Ae

Post by sanatic1234 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:52 pm

Im trying to save Dave, have been for a couple of months now :lol: but things keep on cropping up that of course are costing money :roll:

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19742
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: Musa Ae Ae

Post by Dave Brown » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:01 pm

sanatic1234 wrote:Im trying to save Dave, have been for a couple of months now :lol: but things keep on cropping up that of course are costing money :roll:
You won't get much change from £150 for a pup :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk

sanatic1234

Re: Musa Ae Ae

Post by sanatic1234 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:06 pm

Yeah also been doing some research and found that they won't grow all that big in the uk either? I read that they only just manage to get to a reasonable height in new jersey. This is making me think now, as much as i love them i do want a banana plant that will have some nice height to it. shame really as i read that these can grow up to 12ft given the right conditions.

nicebutdim
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:25 am

Re: Musa Ae Ae

Post by nicebutdim » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:38 pm

mushtaq86 wrote:Musa Ae Ae

The supposedly rare banana plant that every man and his dog has on bananas.org :lol: :lol: :lol: I have had mine for two years now,if i could only keep one banana plant in the world it wouldn't be this,its a nice banana but extra care has to be taken is has to be kept in a half shade half sun to stop the white bits on the leaves going crisp,it also has to be kept in enricous soil or a soil with pH 6.0 or less to give it a white and green appearance on the leaves, normal compost will turn leaves all green.It grows 18ft in the tropics.
Hello mushtaq,
How do you get your soil to be ph 6.0? even the ericaseous soils I've bought have struggled to reach 6.5.The manufacturers say I must have a faulty tester,but I've used a number of different ones with the same result.I take a tester with me when I travel about hoping to stumble on an area where there is acid soil but not found one yet.

mushtaq86

Re: Musa Ae Ae

Post by mushtaq86 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:14 pm

nicebutdim wrote:
Hello mushtaq,
How do you get your soil to be ph 6.0? even the ericaseous soils I've bought have struggled to reach 6.5.The manufacturers say I must have a faulty tester,but I've used a number of different ones with the same result.I take a tester with me when I travel about hoping to stumble on an area where there is acid soil but not found one yet.
I use ericaceous liquid which keeps ericaceous soil around 6.0 pH.

mixiepalms

Re: Musa Ae Ae

Post by mixiepalms » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:58 pm

variegation is just a diseased plant, yes looks pretty, The cause of the variegation symptoms is a mosaic plant virus called abutilon mosaic. why do we as gardeners pay so much for a plant that is ill. just my thoughts.

SteveW

Re: Musa Ae Ae

Post by SteveW » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:52 pm

Not all variegations due to a virus Mick.
Sure its one cause,but there are more
And reading through the .orgs wiki the Aeaes variegation is caused by something called somatic variegation,not chimeral which is why its not yet been tc'ed :(
Not that it bothers me as I've already got one :lol:
aeae and tanee sept
aeae and tanee sept
DSC01082.JPG

mushtaq86

Re: Musa Ae Ae

Post by mushtaq86 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Ae Ae is looking great steve icon_thumright

Post Reply