Overwintering Bananas American style

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Overwintering Bananas American style

Post by Dave Brown »

There is an excellent topic on how some Bananas and Ensete can be overwintered on Bananas.org. See HERE It is this type of overwintering I intend to use for my Ensete v. Maurelii this winter. It is interesting that Bigdog gets his bananas to flower and fruit after this treatment. He mentions Dwarf Orinoco which might be possible here with the same treatment.

Has Anyone tried and got fruit, or is anyone going to give it a go :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Overwintering Bananas American style

Post by musa_monkey »

Not tried getting one to fruit yet but i am trying dry root storage on a few this year to see what happens.
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Just seen this article kindly posted by Dave B and wonder if it would work with basjoo? Have a severe shortage of winter storage space and think I may trial one dry stored like my ensetes in the loft over winter. Any body tried this before with basjoo,or should I just put the complete plants up there? They are approx 4 feet tall inc 5ltr pots and no windows in loft so not sure if they would survive? Nige
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

but you always keeping banging on about things are different here than America icon_scratch
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Codfather wrote:but you always keeping banging on about things are different here than America icon_scratch
Not quite Coddy, I'm always banging on about saying hardy to zone x and people expecting them to survive here as we are a higher zone. The same US zone as much of the UK is the similar latitude to southern Spain and Madeira. I think you might agree that we have little in common with those latitudes even if they get a -10C once a year.

Nige, why are you contemplating storing basjoo in one of the warmer parts of the UK ? mine are stored where they are planted, and continue to grow for much of the winter, apart from 2009/10, and 2010/11.

It's up to you, as it will probably work, but I'm not bothering doing it with basjoo :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Ah.... icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

That's just made me think about trying a bit harder to keep my Lidl impulse bought Cavendish alive through the winter. Not big enough yet to dry store but not too big to squeeze in the house till next year.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

JoelR, I might be totally wrong here but I don't think that a Cavendish will take that kind of treatment because I don't think they go into dormancy?

I actually bought 4 of those Lidl plants :lol: I have given 3 away however.

I read this thread a while ago and it is indeed excellent, I intend to store most of my bananas like this next winter, in my roof.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Joel, Unfortunately Dwarf Cavendish does a DD (Dried then died) several of us have tried and it does not come back out of domancy. You're welcome to have a go, but don't expect it just to regrow when repotted :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

He can get fruit, because his summer has 4-5 months of over 30°; here, we're lucky to get 4-5 days of over 30°. No way that fruit can be matured here, even if the plants grow vegetatively OK.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Dave Brown wrote:Joel, Unfortunately Dwarf Cavendish does a DD (Dried then died) several of us have tried and it does not come back out of domancy. You're welcome to have a go, but don't expect it just to regrow when repotted :roll:
Thanks for sharing your experience and saving me the trouble Dave & Vag. Could still be worth a go with other musas even if they don't fruit.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

The only problem I have with trying bare root is its hard enough some times getting a nana to root that has been sent in the post bare root, so what’s it going to be like trying to get a large nana to root in spring… unless you place them on heat mats!
Frank in the US has very hot Somers and they start at a very predictable time, unlike ours.
I like the idea but wouldn’t it be better to leave the root ball in-tacked, just rapt up.

Tony
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Dave, the main reason I would like to trial basjoo in my loft is because all mine are in pots and outside are much more likely to be damaged by frost than if they were in the ground.Especially as they are only 3-4 foot tall and only in about 5 litre pots so frost penetration is quite likely if left outside. Would you agree? Nige
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

nige pook wrote:Dave, the main reason I would like to trial Musa basjoo in my loft is because all mine are in pots and outside are much more likely to be damaged by frost than if they were in the ground.Especially as they are only 3-4 foot tall and only in about 5 litre pots so frost penetration is quite likely if left outside. Would you agree? Nige
Ok, that is different, but I overwinter smaller ones in an unheated area under cover, admittedly last December was touch and go, but with fleece draped over they cam through. I have more pups removed from a clump that was spreading too far which will be in a unheated poly this winter.

I thought you had a greenhouse :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by musa_monkey »

icon_scratch Tony has a good point about getting them started again in spring.
Its tough enough with small ones at times.

Never really gave it that much thought :oops: still i like a challenge so may end up having to try heat trace cable or a larger mat to get them going again next year.