Heliconia bihai brought inside 1st Nov

Mr List

Re: Heliconia bihai brought inside 1st Nov

Post by Mr List »

i think you need to put a tape measure or something in the picture for scale, the leaves don't look big to me in those pictures.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:i think you need to put a tape measure or something in the picture for scale, the leaves don't look big to me in those pictures.
As I said in the post last week, it was an offcut from the main plant, to see a more full size plant that it was taken from, look at the first post on the topic.

I'm not telling you, that you must like it. If you choose to grow Canna instead, that is your choice.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

ah i see the leaves are quite large then. but it just looks like a nana to me :lol:

sometimes i wonder if we grow things just for the sake of it.
i would find it hard to find a reason to grow this plant if it isn't realistic to get it flowering often/each year.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:ah i see the leaves are quite large then. but it just looks like a nana to me :lol:

sometimes i wonder if we grow things just for the sake of it.
i would find it hard to find a reason to grow this plant if it isn't realistic to get it flowering often/each year.
I don't know of a Musa that grows in such a tight clump, or that will happily grow in deep shade, with tougher leaves :D
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

Is the Heliconia you have more wind resistant than a Musa or Ensete, Dave?
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Dave Brown wrote: I don't know of a Musa that grows in such a tight clump

this bit is the interesting part of the plant but for me the extra hassle of digging up to overwinter would have me just find a ginger or a musa for the spot instead.

i forget, does this need to be kept going over winter or can it be stored in cellars ,like cannas?

plants like this i like to growing pots that i can just chuck in the cellar over winter.
my garden planting i try to keep all permenent
hedychium

Post by hedychium »

Hi There
Am wondering if you know where i may buy heliconia plants from , someone was selling Heliconia rostrata on the here , went to collect plant but ended up as not even a heliconia it was Alpinia zerumbet

Oh well we live and learn

Anyway would be grateful if you might point me in the right diredtion of where i maybe able to find Heliconias

Regards
John
hedychium

Post by hedychium »

hi Would anyone be able to tell e where i a able to buy Heliconia bihai or other Heliconia
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

There is unlikely to be anywhere, other than DIY Sheds, selling tropical plants in winter, and I'd be very wary in case they have been delivered and left in a cold building overnight.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright