Re: Spiral Gingers

Post by bev »

very good post andy, thanks for taking the time icon_thumleft

cheers

lee
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

DiCasS wrote:I have a conservatory which we do keep warm during Winter, so the minimum temperature wouldn't be a problem. Which ones would you say are best for a beginner with the minimum of problems
Di, the two I'd recommend to begin with are C.cuspidatus and C.scaber. C.cuspidatus has the advantage of not taking up so much space being only about 60cm tall and will reach flowering size in a 3L pot.
C.scaber is the most cold tolerant and will flower in my conservatory for most of the year but it does so on 1.5-1.8m stems and will need at least a 7.5L pot.
Both are very easy to look after, the only pest problems I have are aphids, for some reason red-spider mite doesn't seem to bother them.

Dave, they don't produce the moisture problems that nanas do and I had a conservatory stuffed full of them over the winter.
Andy
Renae

Post by Renae »

That was a great read.. I have friend's growing them here.. but havnt tried them yet.. What you guy's do on this site makes winter plant losses here..inexcusable :!: Thanx for your effort icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Well, I bought the C. cuspidatus earlier on in the year from Andy :D and have now been rewarded with my first flower icon_cheers Other buds are showing but not opened yet. I didn't think I would get flowers this year, so am really pleased.
Picture 1366 [800x600].jpg
Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

very good Di I'm impressed icon_thumright gorgeous plant as well, well done!
I am still after one of those spiral gingers shown on the first pic of Andy's post. They two are gorgeous. :D
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Didn't you get one San, I seen that you were interested when Andy put a post up saying what he had available, I just presumed you got one. I had the Scaber too which has grown well and also couldn't resist the variegated one which is lovely, but still quite a small plant, it's not such a quick grower as the others. Luckily they all seem to like it in my conservatory, in fact the scaber had to be repotted today as the roots were getting to be a tangled mess out of the holes in the bottom of the pot. Looks a lot happier now.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Nice one Di it sounds like they are loving where they are :) I did want the one that had the foliage in a spiral circle shape but it had already gone if i can remember? but they are really gorgeous plants, i have seen one on eBay for 5.50 but its not then one i was really wanting to be honest. Keep me posted on how yours progress Di i would love to know :)
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

DiCasS wrote: I didn't think I would get flowers this year, so am really pleased.
I didn't think you'd get it to flower either. Well done Di, you must have the right conditions for them and green fingers.

If I get it right I should have lots of new ones for sale next year as I've been acquiring seeds and plants from across the globe :D
For the first time this year I'm trying out overwintering some Costus rhizomes kept dry and frost free in the garage.
Andy
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I kept them in a shady spot in the garden and brought them into the conservatory when the weather started to cool off. I noticed the top leaves getting smaller and thought this must be a sign of flowering, looked underneath the top leaves and saw the buds icon_cheers
AndyC wrote:If I get it right I should have lots of new ones for sale next year as I've been acquiring seeds and plants from across the glob
There you go San, another chance to try these next year :D I'll certainly keep an eye out.

Good luck with your overwintering Andy and don't forget to let us know how you get on. Would save a lot of space if you had lots.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

I'm going to try and grow some Indonesian Wax Gingers next year. I came across this old post whilst searching. Anybody had a go this year with any.
hedychium

Post by hedychium »

Hi room
Can anyone tell me where I can buy costus from as plants or rhizomes
Cheers
John
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

hedychium wrote: Can anyone tell me where I can buy costus from as plants or rhizomes
Jungle sell it, but current not on their website so presumably sold out. You could mail them to ask I guess?