Spiral Gingers

AndyC

Spiral Gingers

Post by AndyC »

I’m a bit nuts about growing Spiral Gingers so I thought I’d share some of my passion with you guys, so here goes -
Spiral Ginger is the common name given to plants of the family Costaceae which along with the family Zingiberaceae make up a ‘super’ family of plants general known as the Gingers. The family Zingiberaceae contains many well know plants such as Roscoea and Hedychiums grown in temperate gardens for their exotic flowers. Many of the gingers in this family are quite hardy as they originate from temperate zones along the southern flanks of the Himalayas and northern China. Costaceae, on the other hand, originate from tropical areas of south and central America, Africa and Asia and are consequently more challenging when used as garden subjects in temperate zones.
Spiral Ginger.jpg
Taxonomy
Up until recent times the family Costaceae had been subdivided into four genera. These are Costus, Dimerocostus, Monocostus and Tapeinochilos, altogether about 100 species within the genera.
Recent micro-analysis of the Costus species has resulted in this group of plants being further divided into four genera three of which are new, these are Chamaecostus, Cheilocostus and Paracostus . The genus Costus is now more concise.
Distribution and Habitat
Plants in the genus Costus are truly pan-tropical but the other genera are more limited in their distribution. Dimerocostus and Monocostus are confined to the tropical areas of Central and South America and Tapeinochilos from New Guinea down to Queensland, Australia.
In these parts of the world spiral gingers are found growing in humid forest at elevations up to 900 meters. Some are happy under the dense forest canopy while others favour forest clearings and the banks of water courses where more sunlight is available.
Morphology
The two plant families Costaceae and Zingiberaceae differ from each other in a number of key areas
- Zingiberaceae do not have true stems but rather elongated sheaths from which the leaves appear unlike Costaceae which have true stems.
- Costaceae have leaves that are held in a spiral upon the stem (hence the common name Spiral Ginger) where in Zingiberaceae the leaves are held in two vertical rows on opposite sides of the pseudostem (distichous).
- The flowers of Costaceae have modified stamens (staminodes) which are fused into the labellum, whereas the Zingiberaceae have only their inner staminodes fused into the labellum, with the outer pair remaining visible often looking like petals.
- Costaceae do not produce the aromatic essential oils that are found in all the Zingiberaceae.
There is huge diversity within Costaceae as to stem height, leaf size, shape and texture and inflorescence shape and colour. Species range from just 30cm high e.g. Monocostus uniflorus to Dimerocostus argenteus with stems 4cm thick and 4-5M high. Leaves can be round, spear shaped and strap like, smooth, hairy and succulent, some have all green leaves while others have leaves with purple undersides . The inflorescences are generally produced from the tip of the stems although some species also bloom on separate almost leafless stems and are found in yellows, reds and purples.
Despite their tropical origins the rhizomes of many Costus species are surprising cold tolerant some. Costus pictus, for example, is able to withstand temperatures down to -12C for short periods and even though it will be defoliated it will re-grow strongly in the spring given enough warmth and moisture.
Most species are evergreen in the wild but some, like Costus speciosus, are naturally deciduous and are used to a period of near dormancy which gives them a greater potential for successful overwintering in temperate climates.
Growing Costaceae in the UK
To grow successfully you will need a heated conservatory or greenhouse where you can maintain temperatures in the range 8-15C. Some species will completely defoliate if not kept at the higher end of the range and others are quite happy at the lower temperature if kept on the dry side. Under glass plants should be kept out of direct sun and like a high humidity in the summer. Many species make wonderfully exotic additions to the garden for the summer months if they can be given a position in part shade or dappled shade.
Costaceae like a rich moist soil that is free draining and should be fed regularly during the warmer months when they are growing strongly.
Andy
AndyC

Re: Spiral Gingers

Post by AndyC »

Species
Of the one hundred or so species known I have about thirty in my collection which have quite a range of characteristics, likes and dislikes. The subsequent posts are each about those species that I have had the most experience of growing and begins with those that I have found easiest to grow, easiest to get to flower or have the most attractive foliage. Identification of some species is quite tricky where the main distinguishing features are size and the flower colour and I have a few that I am not absolutely sure about.

Costus woodsonii/scaber - My original plant came to me labeled ‘Costus woodsonii’, however, since it has grown into a 2m high plant with 2cm thick stems I now believe I have Costus scaber. This really is an easy plant to keep happy and flowering under glass and will tolerate quite low temperatures during the winter. Once the stems reach about 1-1.2m high they produce a red bract from which emerge orange/red flowers over a long period. The leaves are a dark green with a fuzzy underside. They can be planted out for the summer in a position that gets just a couple of hours of direct sun or in dappled shade where they will continue to flower on mature stems. Costus scaber is given a US zone rating of 8b so has a chance of being overwintered in the ground a s a dormant rhizome if mulched and kept fairly dry. I tried this for the first time winter 2009/2010 and it failed to re-grow but might have survived a milder winter.
Costus scaber 1.jpg
Costus scaber 2.jpg
Andy
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Costus barbatus - The ‘Red Tower Ginger’ originates from forested areas of Costa Rica. Costus barbatus is a tall species with stems up to 2.5M although it is likely to be much shorter when grown in pots. The stems are clothed in the typical spiral arrangement of dark green leaves, the underside of which are covered in short soft hairs. The terminal inflorescence consists of a bright red cone up to 20cm long from which yellow flowers are produced over a long period.
Pot grown plants should be kept out of direct sun and given a minimum of 10C over winter. Grow in ordinary compost which is kept moist in the warmer months but a little drier in the winter. They make spectacular bedding for the back of a shady border from June to September and will even produce flowers in a good summer. I planted one out at the end of May which had already started to flower, it is still flowering six weeks later.
Costus barbatus.jpg
Andy
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Costus Cuspidatus - A small species from Brazil that has recently been re-classified as Chamaecostus cuspidatus and is commonly known as the ‘Fiery Costus’ due to the colour of its flowers. It likes to grow in full shade with summer heat and plenty of water, not always easy to achieve, but worth the effort for its foliage alone. The short purplish stems are clothed with waxy leaves which are green above and pale green/purple beneath. The flowers appear in summer and are a bright orange. The plants can be potted up in the autumn and overwintered in the conservatory or on a windowsill out of direct sun.
Alternatively they can be grown permanently in pots, if kept under glass and above 10C they can flower from spring through the autumn until the light levels reduce the growth rate of the whole plant to a tick over.
Costus cuspidatus 1.jpg
Andy
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Costus productus - This is a beautiful Costus from South America (Colombia and Peru). It has stems that can reach about 1m tall when grown in a pot. The terminal inflorescence is formed by bright orange bracts and orange flowers.
The light green leaves are broad and fuzzy. As with all Costus, the stems grow in a spiral fashion. It prefers a shady location, but can tolerate some sun. It is a tender plant that needs to be kept inside a greenhouse or conservatory during the winter at a minimum of 10C but is quite happy out in a shady border for the summer months.
Costus productus 2.jpg
Andy
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Costus erythrophyllus – This one comes from the Amazon basin of Ecuador and parts of Peru, Columbia and Brazil and is found growing in deep forest shade. The foliage is dark grey-green above and deep
burgundy beneath growing in the typical spiral around the burgundy stems. As well as the striking
foliage it produces pale pink and yellow tubular flowers with frilled edges.
Potted plants will reach at most two to three feet making it a perfect specimen for house or
conservatory where it must be kept out of direct sun. Grow in humus-rich compost and keep moist
during the summer with the occasional feed. Lay off the watering during the winter and keep above 12C.
Costus erythrophyllus 1.jpg
Costus erythrophyllus 2.jpg
Andy
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Cheilocostus speciosus - Commonly known as the Crepe Ginger due to the delicate texture of the flowers, this is probably the hardiest of the cultivated Costus species. It is found naturally in clearings and at the margins of moist forests in Malaysia and Indonesia at altitudes up to 1700 metres. Reportedly root hardy down to -15C but I’ve not had any success overwintering plants outside and those I know who have can’t get them to flower outside.
The Crepe Ginger produces tall, cane-like stems that are stained red-purple and clothed with very, handsome, leaves that are 20cm long by 10cm wide and covered with soft downy hairs. In late summer and autumn it produces a 10cm tall dark maroon-red, cone-like structure that is made up of many flowering bracts. The very beautiful tuba-shaped flowers open a few at a time over a few weeks.
Plants are best grown in large pots that can be placed outside for the summer and brought under glass for the summer. They need at least 2m of headroom for stems to produce flowers inside. If kept under 10C they will lose their leaves but will reshoot from the rhizome and from old stems once they get going again in the spring.

Costus speciosus ‘variegata’ – Recently reclassified as Cheilocostus speciosus ‘variegata’, however, it is so unlike Cheilocostus speciosus in all respects other than its flowers that I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see it reclassified as a separate species.
The spiral stems are initially variegated like the leaves but age to red, the underside of the green and white striped leaves are covered in soft fine hairs.
Red cones and white flowers. Less hardy than the plain green form and needs to be kept above 12C
over winter or else it will lose its leaves. Unlike Cheilocostus speciosus I can’t get it to recover from the rhizome in the spring once it has gone dormant.
I’ve not managed to get mine to flower yet but the foliage alone makes it worth the space and effort.
Costus speciosus variegata.jpg
Andy
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Costus spiralis - is native to tropical South America and is found in rainforests up to about 1000 feet where it can grow to 3m in height. It produces cone shaped inflorescences which are initially orange/red but turning a dark red when mature, the flowers are pink with a white lip. If you are not lucky enough to get this Costus to flower it still has a beautiful tropical appearance.
As a pot grown specimen it will grow to around 4ft and must be kept out of direct sun. Grow in humus-rich compost and keep moist during the summer with the occasional feed. Lay off the watering during the winter and keep above 10C as a young plant. Mature specimens are rated as Zone 9 in the USA so it has some hardiness but so far untested in my garden.
Costus spiralis.jpg
Monocostus uniflorus - stands alone in the genus and the family Costaceae and is native
only to the Rio Huallaga valley in Peru. It is so named as it produces a single flower per inflorescence,
although many of the gorgeous yellow flowers can be found on each stem.
The stems only reach 18” in height with soft ovate dark-green leaves making it a perfect specimen for
house or conservatory.
It is supposed to be quite easy to keep in flower when grown in the ideal conditions but I’ve only ever had one flower so I’m not sure what the ideal conditions are yet. However, it does require a well lit position but out of direct sun and grows best in a pot of compost mixed with chopped bark which is kept moist during the summer. Keep above 10C and reduce watering during the cooler months.
Monocostus uniflorus.jpg
Andy
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Costus afer - Costus Afer (Bush Cane) is found in the forest belt from Senegal east to Ethiopia and south to Tanzania, Malawi and Angola. A tall species with round spiraling stems up to 2M which when mature are dark red at the base and green speckled with red higher up. It blooms either terminally or at the base of the plant from green bracts that resemble a small pineapple. The flowers are white with red and
yellow markings and slightly fragrant.
Costus afer is commonly used as a medicinal plant throughout tropical Africa. All parts of the plant are
used in various concoctions to treat stomach complaints, respiratory problems, sore throat, malaria,
various skin ailments, jaundice and to prevent miscarriage.
Best grown in a pot (to restrict its size) in rich well drained but moist compost in partial shade during
the summer months and brought inside for the winter, min 10C.
Costus afer.jpg
Costus varzearum - The origin of the specific name comes from the fact that Costus varzearum can only be found in the Várzea forests of Brazil and is becoming an endangered species. Costus varzearum grows to about 1.2m tall and is very attractive and tropical looking with wavy leaves which are dark green above and purple beneath. The flowers are produced from terminal green bracts and are creamy yellow with red markings.
I have found this species to be the most susceptible to aphid predation perhaps because its leaves and stems are completely without hairs (glabrous).
Costus varzearum.jpg
Andy
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Costus lucanusianus - Costus lucanusianus originates from Rainforest areas of West and Central Africa and has the common name ‘African Spiral Flag’. In ideal conditions it can grow to 4M tall on surprising strong yet slender stems. Stems of potted plants grown under glass will reach about 2M tall with the typical spiral arrangement of the bright green leaves. Where the leaf petiole and the stem join there is a prominent darker coloured ligule that is fringed with hairs (villose), a characteristic that helps identify the species. The flowers are pink, white and yellow and are produced in succession from bracts that appear at the tip of the stems.
Costus Lucanusianus 1.jpg
Costus malortianus - This is medium size Costus from Central America, called the "velvet stepladder ginger" growing to a maximum of 1m tall.
Leaves are emerald green with darker lengthwise striations and are densely covered with short soft hairs that create a silky appearance and feel. The best leaf colour is achieved when grown in shade. Flowers are bright yellow marked with red stripes.
I find that this Costus is not happy when grown at temperatures lower than 12-13C so it is only
suitable for the warm greenhouse or conservatory.
Costus malortianus 1.jpg
Costus malortianus 2.jpg
Andy
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Tapeinochilos ananassae - The Indonesian Wax Ginger is also a member of the plant family Costaceae and has the typical spiral arrangement of leaves and stems. The blooms appear on separate stems from the base of the plant and consist of bright red waxy bracts which last a long time and resemble the foliage of a pineapple, hence the other common name of ‘Pineapple Ginger’ . Potted plants can reach 6ft tall with branching stems and many spiraling dark green leaves if kept well fed and watered.
As the name suggests, they originate from Indonesia and as far south as Northern Australia where they grow in shady forest. To replicate their natural habitat grow in pots of humus-rich moist compost in the shade and feed during the summer months. They will not tolerate cold weather and should be kept under glass at a minimum of 12C with reduced watering during the winter months.
Tapeinochilos ananassae.jpg
Tapeinochilos ananassae.jpg (111.75 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
And here finally is a recent aquisition from the same part of the world -
Tapeinochilos dahlii
Tapeinochilos dahlii.jpg
How cool is that 8)
Andy
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Where can i buy one of these coctus products from they are gorgeous and the spiral ginger the first pic where can i also buy one of them from. they are stunning! in fact all of them are stunning!
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

a great read cheers andy, thanks for posting they are great looking plants i only wish i could over winter them!!
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

What a fabulous post Andy, you've really opened my eyes with these beautiful plants and after reading your post am now tempted to try one of these. I've always dismissed them before as I thought they would be way to tricky to keep alive (for me anyway), but would love to have a go. But which one? I have a conservatory which we do keep warm during Winter, so the minimum temperature wouldn't be a problem. Which ones would you say are best for a beginner with the minimum of problems?

Thanks for the informative post.

Cheers

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Excellent topic Andy, and a wealth of information on a plant family I knew nothing about. Well done icon_thumright

I shall certainly look at getting some of the more cold tolerant ones :wink:

Do the leaves drip water like bananas :?: If they don't I could have a go at some of the more tender ones grown indoors over winter :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright