How to separate banana pups

mushtaq86

Re: How to separate banana pups

Post by mushtaq86 »

Alexander wrote:Its better to take the plant first out of the pot and removing the soil to see wich young plants can be seperated. And the more roots the young plant has the better, so better to whate a bit longer.

Alexander
Hi Alexander

In my experience removing a banana plant from a pot and removing soil first to separate pup was a costly experience,as a lost the original plant to shock of removing soil from the roots,just to get to the pup,while the pup survived i lost a plant that i was growing for two years.Yes i Agree you should only remove pups when they Large enough,unless winter nights are drawing in,and you want a back up pup just in case you lose,your nana over winter months.
leewatson1980

Post by leewatson1980 »

Cheers for the post Mush, very helpful.

I've just taken a few pups up this way but was wondering what after care to give them now the weather is changing, should i put them in the greenhouse, house or just leave them to their own devices. i've got them in the house at the moment on a windowsill.

cheers
Lee
grub

Post by grub »

Plenty of bottom heat this time of year Lee, and I'd keep them indoors icon_thumright .
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My basjoo pup that i took off last week is now moving again. it started to move yesterday. It is just potted up in my living room along with my musa rowe red. Which is also on the move again.
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

leewatson1980 wrote:Cheers for the post Mush, very helpful.

I've just taken a few pups up this way but was wondering what after care to give them now the weather is changing, should i put them in the greenhouse, house or just leave them to their own devices. i've got them in the house at the moment on a windowsill.

cheers
Lee
Just put them in your house now,as its to late to leave them out side,make sure you put them in a south facing window.
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

sanatic1234 wrote:My basjoo pup that i took off last week is now moving again. it started to move yesterday. It is just potted up in my living room along with my musa rowe red. Which is also on the move again.
That's great news san icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Thanks mush, here is a pic of the roller getting bigger, i will admit its moving slowly but a bit of movement is a result. But i am not going to water it though i want to leave it a bit longer as the soil is still moist from a few days ago.
Attachments
Basjoo is slowly moving again.jpg
leewatson1980

Post by leewatson1980 »

grub wrote:Plenty of bottom heat this time of year Lee, and I'd keep them indoors icon_thumright .
sanatic1234 wrote:My basjoo pup that i took off last week is now moving again. it started to move yesterday. It is just potted up in my living room along with my musa rowe red. Which is also on the move again.
mushtaq86 wrote:
leewatson1980 wrote:Cheers for the post Mush, very helpful.

cheers
Lee

Just put them in your house now,as its to late to leave them out side,make sure you put them in a south facing window.
cheers guys icon_salut
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My pup is well on the way now, seems to be speeding up which is confusing me just like my rowe red pup?
Attachments
Musa basjoo pup romping away.jpg
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

must like it where you have it san.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

One thing i have noticed though mush is that each new roller is getting smaller. So may be it will slow down soon and stop.
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

When digging up my bannas to overwinter them indoors i found they wouldnt fit in the pots i had due to the tiny baby shoots on the sides, so i chopped the babies off with some roots and potted them mostly in big yogurt pots with holes drilled in the bottom watered them from below and put them in a heated propagator, they were barely visibly above the surface. And now a month later all 10 are doing well.. one that didnt grow much has even had a baby of its own in the last few days!! :shock: I love bananas! icon_cheers

sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hi tropical bob :D How the heck did you get such a small pup to re-pup like that? I am well impressed. What is your secret :lol: and what banana is it? looks a bit like a basjoo?
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Haha i dont know tbh im a gardening noob lol i just followed the intructions on this thread lol :D

None of them were over 2cm tall, most were 1cm tall. I chopped them off with a dirty spade taking some roots and a small chunk of the mother plant with it, chopping down in a V shape, then potted them in a 50/50 mix of B&Q "sowing and cutting compost" and B&Q "vermiculite" in big yogurt pots with about 10 holes drilled in bottom of each one for drainage, soaked those by standing in 2inch deep warm tap water for about a minute each then put them in a "Sankey" brand heated propagator (also from B&Q) with the vents closed and left them for a month on the floor next to a south facing bay window.. oh and i used kitchen roll to clean the clear plastic lid and mop out standing water from the base once every day! I have only just today given them a second watering after a month.

I would have been over the moon with just one living lol but they all did and the mother plant is still ok too haha! The mother plant got attacked by a slug or something last year that bored a lil hole in the base and caused it to pup 10 new ones, i chopped those first 10 off at 3ft high stems a month back and realised the plant was still huge round the base .. then noticed it had ANOTHER 10 teeny tiny pups which i potted up and hoped for in the pic above, i chopped a few more in half getting the original big pups off too! The mother plant is doing fine in my conservatory though even after having 20 odd pups removed lol :D

Oh and they are basjoo!
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Well tropical bob all i can say is im very impressed :), I am hoping for some pups next spring now that my 2 outdoor basjoo's have been smashed to ground level by this horrible winter :roll: I do have a pup indoors which is growing nicely though :)