Dicksonia Antarctica/tree fern winter protection plans

cordyman

Re: Dicksonia Antarctica/tree fern winter protection plans

Post by cordyman »

glovemeister wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:I'd forgotten about the water tank covers! Has anyone got a,link to a good place to buy?
This should be cheap enough Tom icon_thumleft

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... =281597820

would this be tall enough for a 4 foot Dicksonia antarctica?

I was going to use a sleeping bag with a wheely bin liner over the top to waterproof but the b+q link is far cheaper!!

As the fronds die off anyway and new ones form each year rather than cram them all into the Cylinder Jacket can I just cut them shorter ? icon_scratch icon_scratch
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Looks great! I would leave the fronds sticking out of the top and just stuff some straw in the crown and a duvet onto (if it gets stupidly cold like last year).
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Couldn't you just tie tie top together as per pic as and when needed?
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I bought my first tree fern this year so am totally new to them. I have it in a tall slim pot. I was going to put fleece into the crown and cover the entire pot in a fleece jacket( 30 thickness with cord pull bottom) and if weather got really bad, drag the plant into my garage until bad weather passes. Do not know if that is any good or not?

Cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

If you can drag it undercover when it gets very cold for the rest I would just pack the crown with dry straw. Just change it every few weeks so it doesn't rot.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
just had an idea, probably silly, but what about filling the crown with perlite?
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

You can't get as much in as straw (with the fonds tied up) and probably not as insulating either.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Mine's in a pot sunk in the ground - when forecast is dire, I'll commandeer my other half to help me retrieve it and move it to safety :oops:
Fortunately it is in the most sheltered part of the garden so it has not become wind damaged - just hope we don't give ourselves hernias when we do move it :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I wouldn't use perlite. A thick layer of dry straw and undercover/inside if the temps are sub -5c.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

My first year too with a Dicksonia antarctica, dont want to uproot it and after seeing so many dead this year is a bit of straw really enough to get it through?

I'm going to get one of these form Wickes as suggested earlier in thread

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/210203

i'll stuff the crown with straw and tie the boiler jacket at the top to weatherproof it. On nice days I can untie to let some light /air in.

How would that do?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Sounds good matey! Just make sure you unwrap well when the temps rise. In an average winter straw is fine. It was only 09 that I started to.protect mine as anything above -5c ish should be fine. If it gets very cold it won't harm to put a small hot water bottle wrapped up near the crown.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Sounds good matey! Just make sure you unwrap well when the temps rise. In an average winter straw is fine. It was only 09 that I started to.protect mine as anything above -5c ish should be fine. If it gets very cold it won't harm to put a small hot water bottle wrapped up near the crown.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Someone gave me a tip, to put rotten bannana skins in the crown of the fern in winter, then straw or similar to keep warm. karl.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I always thought banana skins were a method for feed for tree ferns in the growing season?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

This cylinder jacket idea i like it but would this cause the Dicksonia antarctica to dry out too much? as the crown still needs to remain moist throughout he winter else it will still die. surely these cylinder jackets will dry out the crowns?