Dicksonia Antarctica/tree fern winter protection plans

cordyman

Re: Dicksonia Antarctica/tree fern winter protection plans

Post by cordyman »

Hey mate you tie the four side sections together so you can tie it looser if needed to let air/moisture in until its really cold
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Oh i see :) the picture is very deceiving it looks like a whole jacket. :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

A lot of these cylinder jackets have perforated holes in them to stop them sweating. If thats the case , the rain is going to get in and soak the insulation and could render them useless
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

It is so hard to know what to do, i have even thought of the big fleece ball in the middle with some dry leafs underneath and with 4 caines round each Dicksonia antarctica and tieing more fleece the the caines so it acts as a shelter to keep off the frost and the snow but to also let airflow through. But is it enough??? i am so stuck on what to do with so much little time to get it sorted.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I have all mine potted so worst case they'll be in my living room :lol:

In reality the depth of cold needed to kill them is pretty low and needs to be similar to the last two winters. I would go for some thick cheap duvets with some large black bags over the top to keep the snow rain off. Just remove when it gets above freezing. A small hot water bottle wrapped near the crown (but not on it) should add extra protection.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hmm, i can't see my partner being too happy about me buying brand new duvets to chuck over my Dicksonia antarctica's i can just see it now. :lol: :lol:
I do still have the wrapping that the Dicksonia antarctica's came in i wondered if i could some how re use that, as sure that must give some kind of protection to it? it is just the crown that needs the attention isn't it.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

You can get large 13.5 tog duvets from tesco for 6 quid each which is nothing in comparison to the cost of a Dicksonia antarctica.

The growth point is the crown but the meristem (think of it as like the human spine) which runs from the crown down to the roots through the centre of the Dicksonia antarctica can also be damaged in deep cold. If you are leaving out and harsh cold hits I would be draping a large thick duvet right over to the floor.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Oh you don't see her point tom. :lol: :lol: its not the cost so much its the case of it being a duvet and should be on a bed not on a tree. Thats how she thinks mate. :lol: :lol: 95% of the time she is really good but i think on this case i have hit the 5% where she won't agree with me. :(
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Only one answer then. Tree fern in bed with you both! :!: :lol:

My wife thinks I'm crazy with my love of the garden but fortunately I just do what I want as I do all the work out there. If the duvets find themselves on your Dicksonia antarctica what's the worst that can happen? :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I sleep outside with them :lol: No i don't think she would be that drastic over some winter protection. I will ask her and see what she says. :-)
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I have just bought loads of straw and will use that. When very bad weather strikes the tree will come into my garage. Thanks for your advice Tom