Dicksonia Antarctica/tree fern winter protection plans

Tom2006

Dicksonia Antarctica/tree fern winter protection plans

Post by Tom2006 »

Another one that might help us all. Feel free to post what your planning, what has or hasn't worked in the past.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kracker

Re: Dicksonia Antarctica/tree fern winter protection plans

Post by kracker »

I will be following this one .....
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I don't think the up take looks good :lol:

For what its worth. I now have mine in pots and will have then next to my south facing wall and should the weather turn very bad I will move them under a poly house or even bring them into my garage until the cold passes.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

You could try sleeping bags. See previous thread on this subject.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I'm not sure why this or the Trachycarpus thread have not been well received oh well.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Tom2006 wrote:I'm not sure why this or the Trachycarpus thread have not been well received oh well.
icon_salut icon_scratch icon_scratch
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:I'm not sure why this or the Trachycarpus thread have not been well received oh well.
icon_salut icon_scratch icon_scratch
both have comments saying search for other previous threads. Point made and taken. A shame because after the last two winters a one stop thread for what people ARE going to do could be very useful indeed.
Last edited by Tom2006 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Very cool, very humid and quite dark basement is my only option. Hope Dicksonia antarctica and Cyathea will survive in such coditions :?
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

I haven't really decided yet, probably some loft insulation wrapped in fleece. If we get a repeat of last December/January then I'm going to have to seriously consider digging up the biggest one which only just scraped through; the problem is that by then the greenhouse will most likely be full to bursting.

One thing to bear in mind is that after a period of cold the protection needs to come off again, otherwise it keeps the cold in and prevents the trunk from thawing out.

On balance I think I'll just have a mild winter instead :D . Can't be too much to ask can it?
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Mick... your comment about digging them up is interesting. I am quite new to treeferns and have two 6ft trunks, one which was planted in late June and has massive ferns now growing and one planted in April which is a wimp of a plant with full but weak fern growth. The question is that once the fibrous root system starts to grow, will digging up the Fern have an adverse reaction on long term viability of the tree fern? After all they are supplied as cut logs with no root system.
I have also heard that they must not dry out particularly on the growth point, but counter this moisture in the top growing point could be fatal in a prolongued freeze.?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I think digging up would unsettle them but in a very harsh spell would be a better option than leaving to the elements. You are right though, the crown and the roots shouldn't dry out but equally should not be too wet.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Andy Martin wrote:Mick... your comment about digging them up is interesting. I am quite new to treeferns and have two 6ft trunks, one which was planted in late June and has massive ferns now growing and one planted in April which is a wimp of a plant with full but weak fern growth. The question is that once the fibrous root system starts to grow, will digging up the Fern have an adverse reaction on long term viability of the tree fern? After all they are supplied as cut logs with no root system.
I have also heard that they must not dry out particularly on the growth point, but counter this moisture in the top growing point could be fatal in a prolongued freeze.?
The one I'm concerned about is also a 6fter Andy, I planted it early last Summer as a log. It threw out huge fronds about a month later but has only begun to root this year. I don't think it has rooted too well yet, so i'm thinking that damaging these roots is not such a big deal, whereas the alternative of leaving it out in two weeks of sub zero temps would surely kill it off.

I don't want to dig it up, and if it was in good condition now I'd just rely on protection. But it's not in good condition , it has about 9 stunted fronds and presumably badly depleted energy reserves; if we get another bad winter then it might be the lesser of two evils.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

MickC wrote
I haven't really decided yet, probably some loft insulation wrapped in fleece.
The only problem i see with that Mick is the loft insulation getting wet or damp which would render it useless . Once wet it would also freeze. I used loft insulation last year but i covered that in Tyvek breathable roofing membrane. Kept the insulation bone dry but also allowed it all to breath. Used the same for the pstem on my basjoo. icon_thumleft
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Always worth planning ahead Tom, especially when you lost so many. Mine came through good, however its situated against a huge wall, so its easy to make a contraption to seal it. I used a pillow as i think dave did or did he use a duvet?, but this seemed to assist. I tied up the fronts and stuffed straw in and when they had gone crisp I cut them off (this was in february) It seemed to work as i know that you have to protect the crown.

As for watering i did only slightly, but those two winters were not really the norm so its hard to say what to do in a normal winter.

My main issue this year is dahlia tubers to store. I have now obtained 5 huge delivery crates, so i just need some wood chip now. This will be the same for the Cannas.

I lost the Phoenix Robellini and have resisted buying another, and also i will no longer be buying the washies as they just seem to die on me. The Phonex Canary Island Palms are going to be tied up and wrapped individually in fleece. I lost a few as i only covered them in fleece and i didnt protect the growing point.

The one worry is my Agave Americana. This is buried in the ground in a pot this time, but even in my garage these plants just seem get to get frozen. I really dont know on this one if anyone has any ideas. The house with my wife is a no goer! and a heated green house i think with the bills so far will be a no goer also!

cheers peter

:)
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
The only problem i see with that Mick is the loft insulation getting wet or damp which would render it useless . Once wet it would also freeze. I used loft insulation last year but i covered that in Tyvek breathable roofing membrane. Kept the insulation bone dry but also allowed it all to breath. Used the same for the pstem on my basjoo. icon_thumleft
Good plan thanks AT icon_thumleft I was thinking of using that foil backed stuff but that sounds like a much better idea.