Can over protecting a Dicksonia antarctica make it rot?

Tom2006

Re: Can over protecting a Dicksonia antarctica make it rot?

Post by Tom2006 »

9C is about right for the time of year and it could get milder as the day goes on. I have had to water mine this November which is very unusual.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I had to water my Bamboo's yesterday as no rain gets to the soil below the crown, and they still seem to dry out to fast for my liking, but with the straw in the Dicksonia antarctica crown, rain will still make it into the trunk from the crown,temp wise, here it's now 8.2c which it looks as if that's going to be it for today :(

icon_sunny icon_sunny
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Tom2006 wrote:9C is about right for the time of year and it could get milder as the day goes on. I have had to water mine this November which is very unusual.
I have to water mine all the time tom, they just dry out so quickly. I put the hose over them both for a good 3-4 minutes but by the end of the day they are practically dried out again. :roll:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My t-rex is also receiving water still nick, and is still growing also but slowly. must get bamboo at some point. icon_thumright
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

sanatic1234 wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:9C is about right for the time of year and it could get milder as the day goes on. I have had to water mine this November which is very unusual.
I have to water mine all the time tom, they just dry out so quickly. I put the hose over them both for a good 3-4 minutes but by the end of the day they are practically dried out again. :roll:
They are thirsty butters at the best of times. I love watering mine though. icon_thumleft
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Well i have unwrapped mine (again lol)
But i left the fronds bent over the trunk and have left the straw in and around the crown.

Its still feels damp so i have not watered it.
Is it usual to see a garden worm in the crown, ive seen woodlice n stuff before but just spotted the end of a garden worm dissapearing into the fur lol.

Its not supposed to be as cold as last night.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Better totally Unwraped for now as no cold forecast anytime soon. Never seen a worm in mine, is remove it just to be on the safe side....if you see it again that is.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I made a grab for it but it disappeared lol.
It was a big butter too :twisted:
Last edited by Delboy on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I can't see a worm doing ay real damage to a Dicksonia antarctica somehow :lol: but I've had them halfway up my shed wall before now, or on the top of our steps about 4ft up, WHY :lol: my straw will remain in place now, I work shifts so if I remove it because it's mild by the time I get home at night it could be -whatever degree :ahhh!: so mines staying put.
My T-Rex is now loosing it's leafs they went yellow then with a slight tug they just fell of cleanly, and it to like a fair amount of water, I found they all like there water, and as for my Bamboo's, I could water them every day until it runs out the pots and they still would happily want more, mind they are in 260-300 ltr tubs :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny