Anybody growing a cyathea cooperii

sanatic1234

Anybody growing a cyathea cooperii

Post by sanatic1234 »

I am really liking this tree fern, for its slender trunk it looks fantastic, ok not as hard as the Antarctica but, with some protection i think it will be ok. Is anybody growing one? does anybody have a picture to post of theirs. And where sells them for a good price? Thank you very much in advance. icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Anybody growing a cyathea cooperii

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I've got a small one settled in after a year and hopefully next year it will put on some good growth.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Where did you get it from Kris? and do you have a picture of it mate? I think these are fab, i would love one of these.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

sanatic1234 wrote:Where did you get it from Kris? and do you have a picture of it mate? I think these are fab, i would love one of these.
Got it from Amulree. Poor transport snapped all the fronds last July. It has recovered and thrown out quite a few fronds this year.

Arlon has some good ones I believe....
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I would of sent it back and told them to replace it! that is shockingly bad. Fare enough not there fault, but at the same point you wasn't paying for a damaged plant.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Got three good plug plants from a nursery on eBay. They are very healthy and growing well. They need substantial protection if left outside but everyone I've seen with them brings them indoors or a heated greenhouse/conservatory over winter.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I would keep mine potted tom, and sink the pot into the ground in the growing season. I would store mine either in my shed which is frost free, and always seems to be warm. :lol: or there is my store room that has a lowest temp of 10c. They can take -4c so i have read in the j****e seeds catalogue. if you don't mind me asking tom when did you buy the plug plants? these would take a while wouldn't they to form any kind of trunk?
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

sanatic1234 wrote:I am really liking this tree fern, for its slender trunk it looks fantastic, ok not as hard as the Antarctica but, with some protection i think it will be ok. Is anybody growing one? does anybody have a picture to post of theirs. And where sells them for a good price? Thank you very much in advance. icon_thumleft
PM sent San as its public forum and someone could pinch from under your nose .......... icon_thumleft

Make a cheeky offer dude , they won't want them hanging around for the winter icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris wrote: Arlon has some good ones I believe....
Will take a pic later (subject to me remembering :lol: )
Arlon Tishmarsh

Pics as promised.

Taken from up a step ladder earlier, both cyathea now spanning just under 10ft
DSC01737 (Copy).JPG
DSC01738 (Copy).JPG
and from an upstairs window to get them both in the pic.......
DSC01740 (Copy).JPG
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

On my wanted list.........

I see you have had your camera out today Arlon.........did you take any more pics of anything else ????
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Arlon Tishmarsh

nosey git :lol: :lol:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME....UPDATE YOUR BLOG......AND YES ITS IN UPPER CASE, JUST RELISED BUT I AINT TYPING IT AGAIN ! :lol:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

After reading an old thread on here it seems there can be a lot of confusing between Australis and Cooperii when small is there a easy way to tell em apart for a old thicko like me icon_rabbit

Not the best pic i know but these where marked as Austrlis
Attachments
phpKfyi69AM 75.jpg
Leigh
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

how hardy actually are they ????
AKA - Martin

Arlon Tishmarsh

Leigh wrote:After reading an old thread on here it seems there can be a lot of confusing between Australis and Cooperii when small is there a easy way to tell em apart for a old thicko like me icon_rabbit

Not the best pic i know but these where marked as Austrlis
Not an expert Leigh but i think there's a good chance they are Australis. A bit difficult to see but they don't seem to have the abundant golden fuzz that the cooperi's have, the stipes look a little on the bare side in comparison to my cooperi's.

I like the look of those icon_thumleft