Seeding dead tree fern stumps

chrismc

Seeding dead tree fern stumps

Post by chrismc »

Hi All,
just wondered if anyone has ever seeded a tree fern crown with tree fern spores? ive seen a few people attaching other things but i wondered is this worth trying to get the crown reestablished with an new fern?
Tom2006

Re: Seeding dead tree fern stumps

Post by Tom2006 »

No not heard it tried and almost certainly wouldn't work long term as the roots of the new tree fern would have no where to go.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Hi Chris,
This is a £3 tree fern in the top of an 18" dead trunk about 18 months ago. So far so good. Get a long masonry drill and drill deep holes through. You have nothing to lose in trying.
100_7190.jpg
This is the same plant - much bigger fronds than last year. It's been moved inside because it's still a baby, just planted in a bigger trunk.
101_0914.JPG
Good luck!
Ness
Shamone10

Post by Shamone10 »

Wow that's mad, nice pics thankyou didn't know that would be possible lol. Does the old trunk take years to rot, giving the roots enough time to get all the way down the drilled hole into soil?

And then I guess it produces its own trunk inside-out? somehow.... :twisted:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

genius
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Looks pretty impressive. Keep us updated!
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Shamone10 wrote:Wow that's mad, nice pics thankyou didn't know that would be possible lol. Does the old trunk take years to rot, giving the roots enough time to get all the way down the drilled hole into soil?

And then I guess it produces its own trunk inside-out? somehow.... :twisted:
Hi Shamone, I've got absolutely no idea if the trunk will rot or not. We'll wait and see. It's in our cold 'hothouse' :lol: at the moment (just above freezing). It's still pushing up new fronds so I give it some tepid water now and again.
Tom2006 wrote:Looks pretty impressive. Keep us updated!
Will do Tom icon_thumleft It's worth a try for £3
The Codfather wrote:genius
I know :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ness
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I did a similar thing last year hollowed out a dead trunk then bought a tree fern plug off EBay and planted it in the top. OK so far. icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I started a topic 3 or 4 years ago suggesting this, but people who tried did not seem to have success. Having looked into the way Dicksonia antarctica grows it might not be as straight forward as I thought.

The Dicksonia antarctica has a rhizome running down the centre of the trunk and roots radiate from it forming the fibrous trunk. Roots come out of the bottom of the rhizome into the soil as well, but I don't know how long they can get.

Providing the trunk you plant it into isn't too tall for the roots to get to the ground it should work ok, but in trunks taller than say 2ft the roots may not make it to the soil so the crown will always remain small and not thrive. Obviously watering and feeding the trunk is important in this type of planting
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The old dead trunk will rot away in time leaving the new Dicksonia antarctica hanging in mid air. But I guess worth it for the short term.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:The old dead trunk will rot away in time leaving the new Dicksonia antarctica hanging in mid air. But I guess worth it for the short term.
Not necesarily if the new fern roots hold it together. People have thickened trunks by putting a layer of peat and wrapping in plastic. the roots grow into it and it becomes quite stable :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by chrisgronow »

Could you not hollow out the majority of the trunk and then fill it up with soil. Effectively using the old trunk as a pot? Thats what i've got planned for mine anyway? Still kinda hoping its alive though.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

How do we hollow them?
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

with a hole cutter on a drill.....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

off to google a hole cutter. :lol: