Safe to unwrap?

Delboy

Safe to unwrap?

Post by Delboy »

My Dicksonia antarctica has been under wraps now for about a month now.
With the severe cold now past, would it be best to uncover my Dicksonia antarctica and just go back to popping fleece in the crown when frosts are due?
Tom2006

Re: Safe to unwrap?

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes definitely open them up now the cold has passed. They should be fine now with fleece just stuffed in the crown.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

cool icon_thumleft
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Thanks tom. I will join you on that one delboy. But will keep the other fleece on standby just incase.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Taking down my final protection today, the 3m x 3m gazebo which has worked brilliantly where I was, which had light winds, only a little snow, but -10 temps.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I am going to wait a little longer to see what happens.......and mine have been wrapped since the end of October.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

yours are in a garage aren't they coddy? I would think the worst of it is over now coddy. The frost will still be on the cards but that is just the normal till april at least.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Some are outside too
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I will wait to see when mumfie has a look\unwraps his........

and when Y Kris drags his out of the garage.........
AKA - Martin

sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have to take the fleece off mine to be honest as the trunks are due a splash from the hosepipe. :) I don't want them to dry out as they will be dead.
jezza

Post by jezza »

I open up covers and greenhouses but don't take them off completely. It is after all only mid february and it can all go tots up again.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Got no choice with my fleece jezza as it is the wrap a round stuff mate. So it is either on or off. :lol:
jezza

Post by jezza »

I only use fleece as a last resort and even then only on the ground and around the growing point. I bought 3 poly greenhouses to put over the half hardy stuff to keep them as dry as possible. The two nights over -10c i took a few blankets out and flung them over the top.

That reminds me, i need to go and uncover my Dicksonia antarctica.
call

Post by call »

ive got a tiddler and its been up against a wall unwrapped all winter and its still in leaf :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
pdid

Post by pdid »

I`m going to water mine today.