Dog has pulled off my tree fern fronds!!

lee1125

Dog has pulled off my tree fern fronds!!

Post by lee1125 »

I no longer have to worry about the frost killing my 4 new fronds that were coming up nice on my tree fern that i bought last year. :(

My dog decided to chew them all off today and happily brought them into the house for me. :cry:

Didnt realise what they were at first but then i was laughing to much to be angry. :lol:

In all seriousness though are they likely to regrow back from the little bits of frond left on there or should i just cut them off altogether and hope i get some new ones shooting up?
flounder

Re: Dog has pulled off my tree fern fronds!!

Post by flounder »

It starts with the fronds then its the trunk....now that would be hilarious dragging that in the house :D
lee1125

Post by lee1125 »

lol yeah i may not have laughed so much though if he had done that :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

OUCH!! :lol: Once damaged they are done for so just cut them right back. They will ooze for a few days but it will soon push more up. I take it either the fern is low down OR you have a BIG dog! Either way your going to have to raise it up high until the fronds have pushed right through.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
lee1125

Post by lee1125 »

Thanks Tom, i will just cut them right down then lol

It was on the floor in a pot, its on top of a wall now out of reach of naughty dogs!!
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Lee, we have had dogs for years until recently but i have to say, as much as we all love them when there here, you can never truly have a pristine home or garden keeping pets. Not only did ours damage plants but you were frightened to put your hands under plants etc in fear of a handful of crappe :lol: . karl.
kata

Post by kata »

Well Lee,

Nice your lol about this.......... :lol:

I hope it survives..the plant.
I take it either the fern is low down OR you have a BIG dog!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Lee all i can say is SHOCKING! :shock: is your dog ok? it isn't poorly or anything? when my dog had eaten some of my canna seeds it had loads of wind but luckily was not poorly from it.
Last edited by sanatic1234 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
lee1125

Post by lee1125 »

Yeah i know what you mean Karl, i have given up on trying to have nice grass

I tried years to "allocate" them a piece of the garden to do there bit but they have none of it!!

kata wrote:Well Lee,

Nice your lol about this.......... :lol:

I hope it survives..the plant.
I take it either the fern is low down OR you have a BIG dog!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah i hope the plant survives too, the dog did anyway after we had "words"
You cant stay mad at them for long can you? :roll:
123.jpg
BTW - It was the naughty brown one....
lee1125

Post by lee1125 »

sanatic1234 wrote:Lee all i can is SHOCKING! :shock: is your dog ok? it isn't poorly or anything? when my dog had eaten some of my canna seeds it had loads of wind but luckily was not poorly from it.
Yeah he was fine, looks like he just pulled them off and spat them on the floor.
It was only a young fern so i know there was only 4 as iv been watching them unfurl for weeks :cry:

He has a bit of an obsession doing this, he pulls the buds of my Lillies and spits them on the floor as well :lol:

No idea why he does it.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

May be your dog likes the plain looking gardens, not architectural plants and no color? :lol:
Glad your dog is ok lee. icon_thumleft
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Lee looking at your dog's innocent face I can't believe he's done such a thing, you didn't feed the fern with fish blood and bonemeal or something did you? :lol:

As for the fern, I'd leave whats left on the fronds at least until new growth apears, no matter how bad it looks, because it will still be photosynthesising the goodness back into the plant [if theres still any green bits left], the stems are still capable of transfering some energy back to the roots as well.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I would differ the advice at this time of year cut the damaged fronds right back and it should encourage the fronds underneath to push up. When I lost all of mine in may a few years back
I was amazed how quickly the next flush came up.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
call

Post by call »

my 2 year old brother snapped my catalpa the other day which was a shame because it had some new buds on it icon_aaargh
now its been cellotaped back together, wired and caned to keep it still i hope it recovers soon
kata

Post by kata »

Lee,

What about some netting round the Ferns?
Garden Netting is part of the grow your own gardener's arsenal; and whether it's fruit, vegetables or herbs you're growing and birds, butterflies, aphids, deer, badgers or foxes you're trying to keep out, we've got the right grade of garden netting for you. We're flexible; we supply netting by the linear metre and we're also in the business of saving you money too, with our Extra Value Saver Packs - details of which you'll find on the individual netting product pages.
Funny, they don't mention keeping laughing Labs out........... :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/Harr ... kie_test=1