Pteris Wallichiana.

jungle jas

Pteris Wallichiana.

Post by jungle jas »

Hi all, Any one know were I can buy one of these from? Thanks Jas. icon_thumright
grub

Re: Pteris Wallichiana.

Post by grub »

Nick had these at PGP http://www.panglobalplants.com/plants-f ... e=ferns144 I think there's a thread about it somewhere, off the top of my head Stuart Bebb and Mo (Themes) grow it icon_thumleft
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks Grub unfortunately PGP are out. Regards Jas. :( icon_thumright
grub

Post by grub »

Mick C

Post by Mick C »

I got one from PGP last year; the squirrel picked it up for me & Mo passed it on.

It's not started to show yet this year, probably because I look for it at least once a day!
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Mine's not showing yet either, I hope its not in too dry a spot.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

My garden has never been so wet Nigel. We've been here over 20 years and today for the first time ever the greenhouse was partly flooded - couldn't believe my eyes this morning!

I can only say that up here the lack of growth is definitely not to do with dryness.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Mick C wrote:My garden has never been so wet Nigel. We've been here over 20 years and today for the first time ever the greenhouse was partly flooded - couldn't believe my eyes this morning!

I can only say that up here the lack of growth is definitely not to do with dryness.
I hope they're late developers then, because there's still not a sniff of growth, and I'm begining to think about putting something else in the allocated spot. icon_scratch
...I'll give it until the end of May.
valdypiero

Post by valdypiero »

Hi

Pteris wallachina is always late in the UK! Mine usually don't appear till June (and this unseasonably cold weather isn't helping either).

Cheers

Valdy
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

That's reassuring Valdy.

Thanks for your response, I guess I'll give mine a stay of execution for a while longer.

Mick, I hope your greenhouse is drying out a bit now, at least it'll keep the humidity up if you have other ferns there.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Cheers Nigel, it was only flooded for a day or so, but it's still quite damp. The only ferns I keep in it are potted C medularis & D squarrosa over winter, neither very big.

Valdy - thanks, I'm also encouraged to hear that Pteris does not show until late. Still checking for emerging fronds most days though!
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

valdypiero wrote:Hi

Pteris wallachina is always late in the UK! Mine usually don't appear till June (and this unseasonably cold weather isn't helping either).

Cheers

Valdy
Thanks Valdy, I was told it was evergreen! I shan't bother to find one now you have told me that. Many thanks. icon_thumright icon_thumright
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Maybe it was Dryopteris wallichiana Jas, a completely different kettle of fish that one, and evergreen for me...
Try it, great fern. :D

Anyway, I went to my local woods today, as you do, and have noticed our native Bracken Pteridium aquilinum is begining to emerge, so perhaps Pteris wallichiana is similar in habit [and perhaps we're all mad for trying it].
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Nigel Fear wrote:Maybe it was Dryopteris wallichiana Jas, a completely different kettle of fish that one, and evergreen for me...
Try it, great fern. :D

Anyway, I went to my local woods today, as you do, and have noticed our native Bracken Pteridium aquilinum is begining to emerge, so perhaps Pteris wallichiana is similar in habit [and perhaps we're all mad for trying it].
Thanks for the info Nigel will give it a go. icon_thumright