brown ooze on tree fern

Tom2006

Re: brown ooze on tree fern

Post by Tom2006 »

Mine is also just starting to move like yours. Definitely the batch.... too dry! I'm worried they won't lay down enough stores for the winter so I might lift mine for the winter.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Well my 5 footer done nothing for ages and then i realised 2 of the bigger knuckles were black/dead, i removed them and within a week i had more pushing up.
The 2 footer although it had movement was very slow to appear out of the crown as the knuckles were really deep, it has now however overtook the big one.

New 2 footer, taken about a week ago..fronds are all about 6-8" longer now and just starting to uncurl.
P5308257 (Medium).JPG
New 5 footer
P5308256 (Medium).JPG
And heres the 3 footer i had from seagraves last year so this is its first 'uk' flush.
P5308255 (Medium).JPG

Compared to the 3 footer i had from seagraves last year these 2 new ones have been much slower, the big one was so dry i carried it under one arm and it was almost bigger than me lol.....so way way too dry.
Im glad to see they have all pushed up some fronds, when winter :evil: arrives i will protect extremely well and keep everything crossed.
I cant be doing with lifting them, the big one would weigh a ton after all this rain.

@ Tom, did you change your mind then and plant yours in the ground? i thought you were keeping them potted after your previous losses.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Delboy wrote:Well my 5 footer done nothing for ages and then i realised 2 of the bigger knuckles were black/dead, i removed them and within a week i had more pushing up.
The 2 footer although it had movement was very slow to appear out of the crown as the knuckles were really deep, it has now however overtook the big one.

New 2 footer, taken about a week ago..fronds are all about 6-8" longer now and just starting to uncurl.
P5308257 (Medium).JPG
New 5 footer
P5308256 (Medium).JPG
And heres the 3 footer i had from seagraves last year so this is its first 'uk' flush.
P5308255 (Medium).JPG

Compared to the 3 footer i had from seagraves last year these 2 new ones have been much slower, the big one was so dry i carried it under one arm and it was almost bigger than me lol.....so way way too dry.
Im glad to see they have all pushed up some fronds, when winter :evil: arrives i will protect extremely well and keep everything crossed.
I cant be doing with lifting them, the big one would weigh a ton after all this rain.

@ Tom, did you change your mind then and plant yours in the ground? i thought you were keeping them potted after your previous losses.
Last years is looking great! Good to see your new ones are well on the move, with some nice big fronds!

I still have my other four in large 65 litre pots and they will remain there until global warming really kicks in :lol: I got this new two footer in the sale so I thought I would chance it in the ground. It wont lay down many roots this year, especially with such delayed growth in the crown so I will lift it IF we have silly winter temperatures again just to get it through and then plant out again next year and hopefully it will lay down plenty of roots. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.