brown ooze on tree fern

Tom2006

Re: brown ooze on tree fern

Post by Tom2006 »

Delboy wrote:Yep, im only 5' 6", my Dicksonia antarctica is about the same size if not taller, i carried it under one arm from the doorstep to the bottom of the garden no problem.
the delivery driver thought it was a roll of carpet and had it on his shoulder, then dropped it onto the doorstep (crown first) before i had chance to tell him what it was.

The wife came out to help with the lift but i told her no need as it was so light.

Last year my 3 footer was twice as heavy.

Once i'd soaked it, it was bloody heavy then lol.
Oh well its in its final spot now and the top will be fleeced if a frost is due, its just a waiting game now but i didn't expect black knuckles on a new Dicksonia antarctica.

Im just hoping its just the knuckles that got damaged, and a nice new set will soon follow but its worrying that the few that are green/firm havent budged at all, im just waiting now for these to turn black too.

I bet if you gave your black knuckle a little wiggle/prod it will just break up like mine. charcoal is a good description.
At a glance they looked fine, its when you move the fur aside the black is obvious.

My 2 footer altho covered in sap with black frond bases looks ok, there are knuckles far down in the crown and altho they look quite small they are definately moving.

So dissapointed as my 3 footer last year was pristine, no black anywhere and no sap.
Yes my two footer was bone dry, ridiculously dry! I sat its roots in a bucket of water for two days before planting in the ground. I'm sure there are green knuckles deep down but no movement at all so I'm hoping its just in total shock from being allowed to dry out so much. Going to email them again.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

A couple of years ago I had a 'bit of an experience' with Seagrave. It wasn't their fault, it was the delivery man. He dragged it up the drive on it's head damaging knuckles and leaving a trail of debris along the drive, I sent pics to Seagrave and in all fairness they picked it up and sent me a new one, which was fine.

I hope you all get things resolved quickly, they're a lot of money and should be sent out in good condition, I wonder if Seagrave realised that these were damaged ferns. I'd give them a ring to explain rather than e-mail, they can't ignore you then and am sure you'll get things resolved a lot quicker.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I got a reply today saying that none of the ones that they still have from the batch they have recently sent out have yet to put out any fronds. They told me to get back in touch in 3-4 weeks if there was still no growth.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I told them about the damage and about the black knuckles, also mentioned the sap and the lack of movement and the reply I got was to water them lol.
I replied I'd be in touch if they do nowt and that was that.

If I see no movement by the end of the month I will ring them.
shanks

Post by shanks »

Delboy wrote:I told them about the damage and about the black knuckles, also mentioned the sap and the lack of movement and the reply I got was to water them lol.
I replied I'd be in touch if they do nowt and that was that.

If I see no movement by the end of the month I will ring them.
i'm , you all got some reply, i still have'nt, going to contact again, poor!!!!!!
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mine look to be moving. :D
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Well I wasn't going to say anything yet as I wanted to be 100% certain but I'm pretty sure my 5 footer is on the move too. It looks like once the 2 dead knuckles were removed it's kicked into life, the 2 footer is definately ok.
shanks

Post by shanks »

Delboy wrote:Well I wasn't going to say anything yet as I wanted to be 100% certain but I'm pretty sure my 5 footer is on the move too. It looks like once the 2 dead knuckles were removed it's kicked into life, the 2 footer is definately ok.
i've cleaned the crown up a bit, removed more jelly type ooze from it and see what happens, it's not stopped raining in two weeks here so had enough water so i would hope i will see some movement soon
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i just got a tree fern from seagraves how do i know if it is ok?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mr List wrote:i just got a tree fern from seagraves how do i know if it is ok?
The problem is you don't. Our local supplier (recently doubled their prices) told me they work on a 10% dead on arrival rate. If its as dry as mine was sit its roots/base in a bucket of rain water for a few hours and drench the crown. While your slowly pouring water in the crown you can gently feel down to the knuckles if they are firm to the touch they should be fine. That said mine is doing nothing but I have seen a green knuckle deep down.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

there are a couple of green bumps just begining to protrude out of the top, they were there when i got it.

it was fairly dry and i have been soaking it.

the outside of the trunk seems quite brittle and lots of bits of the old fronds just crumble off.
is that normally how the trunks are?

if the cats take to using it like a scratching post they could dig a hole right throught it :shock:
pdid

Post by pdid »

Mr List wrote:there are a couple of green bumps just begining to protrude out of the top, they were there when i got it.

it was fairly dry and i have been soaking it.

the outside of the trunk seems quite brittle and lots of bits of the old fronds just crumble off.
is that normally how the trunks are?

if the cats take to using it like a scratching post they could dig a hole right throught it :shock:
It sounds as though it will be ok, the green bumps are croziers which unfurl into the fronds. They are brittle and bits do crumble off.

If they are arriving dry as logs I would leave them in a bucket of water for a few days.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i soaked it with a hose and but it in a bucket of water for a while before i planted it.
i have been watering it a lot.

it seems to poor out of the sides even though i water the crown.
shanks

Post by shanks »

finally!!!!!!!!! some movement icon_cheers unfortunatly never got a reply from seagroves which is very poor customer relations
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

mine must have been new stock because it started growing pretty much staright away. icon_thumleft

how long should it take for the knuckles to unroll?

it seems to be taking forever :?