brown ooze on tree fern

shanks

brown ooze on tree fern

Post by shanks »

hi all
noticed this brown ooze on top of my tree fern, not in the crown at moment and there seems to be movement on the frond front, anybody else have this, never had it on my last one, cheers icon_salut
Tom2006

Re: brown ooze on tree fern

Post by Tom2006 »

Its just the normal sap oozing out. Have you cut any fronds back?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Not a good sign, do a search on "orange goo"
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Doesn't look like the orange goo to me more like tree sap coming out of the cut frond bases.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Doesn't look like the orange goo to me more like tree sap coming out of the cut frond bases.
The leaf bases don't look recently cut and 'Orange goo' is sap leaking arising from damage.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:Doesn't look like the orange goo to me more like tree sap coming out of the cut frond bases.
The leaf bases don't look recently cut and 'Orange goo' is sap leaking arising from damage.

Yes agree it's not a good sign but not sure if it's terminal like when the centre fills with orange goo.
shanks

Post by shanks »

thanks all, it was bought from seagrove nursery couple months back, so not sure if they cut any back, i'll try and get a better picture tomorrow just noticed the picture is blurred
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Its not the dreaded orange goo but certainly sap coming from damage somewhere. I had it on one of mine where some of the knunckles had been cut, I think, looking at them, by a bird probably trying to pick them out! :evil: :evil: They are pushing up just fine though. The one I got from Seagraves this spring is doing absolutely nothing but it was exceptionally dry when I received it so hoping it will push up in June.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Tom2006 wrote:Its not the dreaded orange goo but certainly sap coming from damage somewhere. I had it on one of mine where some of the knunckles had been cut, I think, looking at them, by a bird probably trying to pick them out! :evil: :evil: They are pushing up just fine though.
What pic are you looking at ? I can't see any knuckles icon_scratch

Also can you explain to us what the goo is, as I always assumed the goo was sap oozing from damage in the crown or central rhizome. I only see it when I cut fronds off, but the sap I have, is orange and gooey :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by shanks »

Dave Brown wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Its not the dreaded orange goo but certainly sap coming from damage somewhere. I had it on one of mine where some of the knunckles had been cut, I think, looking at them, by a bird probably trying to pick them out! :evil: :evil: They are pushing up just fine though.

Also can you explain to us what the goo is, as I always assumed the goo was sap oozing from damage in the crown or central rhizome. I only see it when I cut fronds off, but the sap I have, is orange and gooey :wink:
some better pictures, theres no goo coming from the centre and the fronds finally seem to be on the move, it looks like it is coming from where the importer cut the fronds off
cheers icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Dave Brown wrote:

I was talking about the knuckles on one of mine.

There are two "goos". The clearer one in this thread or the horrible bright Orange one as seen when the Dicksonia antarctica is dying or partof it is dying.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

My newly bought 2 footer also has this, mine was from seagraves too. My 5 footer that i bought at the same time does not have any.

I did notice this time that on my 2 footer a lot of the top of the trunk was blacker (like yours) where the old fronds had been cut off, my 3 footer last year wasn't like this nor the new 5 footer.

I just put it down to being sap, from the old fronds being cut off it is definately not the same as dreaded orange goo, which is a much more brighter orange.

My 3 footer that ive had just over a year had most of the fronds broken over winter and developed some of this 'sap', that one has cleared up now and looks fine again.

My 2 new Dicksonia antarctica's have been in the greenhouse for about 3 weeks, but i dragged them out a few days ago to take advantage of the rain plus right now its not too cold at night.

Im not worried right now, inside the crown is completely clear of sap and i can see some knuckles coming up.
I have a small 5ltr Dicksonia antarctica that has these 'sap' balls all over it and has done for the 12 months ive owned it. I have also seen a few in Homebase like it.
shanks

Post by shanks »

seems a few people have had the same problem with seagrove ferns, my old one never had this problem even when i cut the old fronds off and they never went black, strange, i'll see what happens over coming weeks,
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

shanks wrote:seems a few people have had the same problem with seagrove ferns,
It may pay to email / phone Seagraves explaining the issue with a recently bought Dicksonia antarctica and that you think it may possibly be winter/ cold damage caused at a time it was at their nursery.Tell them you're going to monitor the situation and may need to contact them at a future date. At least that way you'll have notified them asap rather than leave it tooooo late ( in a few weeks /months) where they may possibly turn around and say its not their problem as it was bought such a long time time ago
shanks

Post by shanks »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
shanks wrote:seems a few people have had the same problem with seagrove ferns,
It may pay to email / phone Seagraves explaining the issue with a recently bought Dicksonia antarctica and that you think it may possibly be winter/ cold damage caused at a time it was at their nursery.Tell them you're going to monitor the situation and may need to contact them at a future date. At least that way you'll have notified them asap rather than leave it tooooo late ( in a few weeks /months) where they may possibly turn around and say its not their problem as it was bought such a long time time ago
good idea, will do, thanks arlon