brown ooze on tree fern

Tom2006

Re: brown ooze on tree fern

Post by Tom2006 »

I think I might as well, as to be honest the stump was far far far too dry, so if anything it might be damage from that. I suppose they want to keep the weight down for shipping but with plants like these they need water.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Definitely email them then you have proof you contacted them. If you have no response from the email, call them stating you emailed and explain the problem. Follow up this call with another email to them, confirming the date of the call, what you discussed and any advice you received.

We had an issue with them, called them, were advised to call back in a couple of months if there was still a problem. I did call but the person I originally spoke to didn't work there anymore. Surprise, surprise.

Ness
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

HarryandNess wrote:Definitely email them then you have proof you contacted them. If you have no response from the email, call them stating you emailed and explain the problem. Follow up this call with another email to them, confirming the date of the call, what you discussed and any advice you received.

We had an issue with them, called them, were advised to call back in a couple of months if there was still a problem. I did call but the person I originally spoke to didn't work there anymore. Surprise, surprise.

Ness
Not good! I suppose you get what you pay for with their sales then. It was a very good price for a two foot Dicksonia antarctica but it could be a very expensive purchase if its crippled before I get it :roll: :? :lol:
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Tom2006 wrote:...I suppose you get what you pay for with their sales then.
2 x £100 tree ferns that died. They never really did anything and by the time they were dead it was too late to complain and the person had left (or so we were told). I would never buy another expensive tree fern unless it was complete with huge fronds and I took it home myself.

Ness
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

HarryandNess wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:...I suppose you get what you pay for with their sales then.
2 x £100 tree ferns that died. They never really did anything and by the time they were dead it was too late to complain and the person had left (or so we were told). I would never buy another expensive tree fern unless it was complete with huge fronds and I took it home myself.

Ness
Ouch, thats very bad indeed. Wish I had heard this before buying this one. I can feel some knuckles but they are very deep down, so hopefully they will push through in time.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Perhaps I should send an email as well.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Me too,
When my 5 footer was delivered the guy dropped it onto the floor hard...end down, it was the crown end but other than a scrape on the knuckle it looked ok.

I Checked yesterday after these posts and realised the knuckle was black under the fur, so i had a rumage and it fell right out.
Annoying but another should follow. all the other look ok i think.

The Dicksonia antarctica i bought off them last year was really healthy, no sap or anything. My 2 footer is covered in the stuff and the frond stumps where they were cut back are black, which is where the sap is coming from.
My 5 footer has no sap, but looking again today the frond stumps are black, just not as bad as my 2 footer.

Think im going to email them too just to make it known incase of future problems.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Well i have sent a message to them.

I wasn't overly concerned, but seeing other (more experienced) people seem quite concerned i figured it wouldn't hurt to point out the problems i have.

Del
shanks

Post by shanks »

i have emailed aswell now, see what he says, mine was bone dry when received also
andyb

Post by andyb »

I was going to order 2 Dicksonia antarctica's from Seagrave this week but having read the recent posts about potential issues not sure now icon_scratch it is so easy to lose a lot of monies worth during the winter , would hate to buy Duds to begin with :x
They seem to be the cheapest, perhaps you get what you pay :roll:
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

I can't believe that Seagrave's tree ferns are poorer than those from other suppliers. As I understand it these things are mercilessly hacked down by chainsaw wielding horticulturalists who rely on a few cold ones during the day to make the work bearable, and then sent half way around the world in a freezer, which takes about three weeks.

It must be the same for all importers? I don't think that their stock sits around in their yard for very long.

Their service seems a bit hit and miss though, I've visited the premises three times. On one occasion they were very helpful, the other two they ignored me.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I've never had a problem with them before, and my last Dicksonia antarctica was great.
These 2 new ones I'm hoping will be great too, I wasn't overly concerned before but after reading a few responses on here I figured I'd best cover my self and let them know there 'may' be a problem.

The knuckles on my 2 footer have moved for sure but my 5 footer (that was dropped on it's crown) hasn't budged.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Had a reply from seagraves, didn't answer any of my questions just said they need to be outdoors not in a greenhouse and to water my big one 5 gallons small one 2 gallons.

Mine are outdoors just bought into the greenhouse on the coldest nights and have been well watered.
Email came across as it's my fault they have issues :roll:
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Do Seagraves not offer a plant guarantee?, just wondering as many G.Centres offer 12/24 month guarantees on plants.

I have been to a couple of Garden centres myself up here and have seem some cracking D.A's, expensive, but fully fronded already and looking very healthy, personally I'd pefer to pay a bit more but see exactly what I'm getting with this particular plant. I hope the Seagrave ones are Ok for everyone, nothing worse than false economy :)
shanks

Post by shanks »

no reply yet :roll: hopefully i have not got a expensive stump :(