Blechnum Brasiliense

DiCasS

Blechnum Brasiliense

Post by DiCasS »

I've got this tender Blechnum which desperately needs to be repotted. The thing is, I don't want to put it in a larger pot (its in a bucket size pot at the minute) and wondered whether it would be okay to prune the roots and put it back in the same pot.

Thanks

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
DiCasS

Re: Blechnum Brasiliense

Post by DiCasS »

:(

I've googled and found nothing on root trimming ferns and sticking them back into a pot. Has no-one done this with any fern?

My thoughts are that it might be okay (I'm thinking Dicksonia antarctica here)
as these seem to grow roots easily enough once hacked out of the ground, but just wanted reassurance. My other concern was, would it set the top growth back much, because I would probably need to do this every year or two.
I know you can do this with other plants and they grow fine, but not sure on a fern as I've never tried it before.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Dim

Post by Dim »

try planting it in an airpot and use some rootgrow when potting? ... also use a good compost

http://www.airpotgarden.com/
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I've been told ferns don't like the roots damaged? But I have no experience of this.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Well the Company that have these airpots are going to be at the Malvern Garden Show which, all being well, will go to, so I'll have a look at these in the flesh and see what they are like, they look interesting, thank you Dim.

You may be right JJ, but if all else fails, I'll have to try it as unfortunately I can see no other option, I can't leave it in its pot as it is, the roots are crampacked in there right to the top of the pot, which will make life difficult in Summer as it will need watering constantly.

Cheers

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I've had a scour round the forums as I thought I had read a thread about root trimming, and it seems (if I have understood it right) that as long as the fern has fronds, then its okay to trim the roots. I think problems occur if there are no fronds and you do a root trim.

Well all my fronds are green so will be getting a little bit of a tidy up at the roots. It'll give me a chance to put fresh compost in and keep it healthy.

I'll let you know how it gets on.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Di, just don`t cut too much off.

I don`t know how their root system compares to Cyathea but I bought a small Australis last year which required splitting as there were 2 in the pot. One half, the smaller of the two has rooted fine and is growing away well.

When i re-potted the larger half I buried it deeper for stability, a few fronds grew then it stopped. On inspection, as the weather was warming up, I found the pot had not been draining properly. I did however find new roots had formed from the buried trunk. I took the decision to remove all the soggy old roots and re-potted to a different pot with a more free draining mix. It has since resumed growth but with far smaller fronds so has been set back somewhat.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I 'think' that Cyathea australis are really sensitive to root damage and not so forgiving as say Dicksonia antarctica's - I may be wrong as I've never grown one, it's just through reading.

I thought about reducing the roots by half and hoping Blechnum are not fussy, it's trial and error really. It wasn't an expensive plant, but not one that I want to lose either.

Thanks pdid for the adivice and good news that your two are okay.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Okaaaay, a friend has now advised me that it would be a mistake in trimming the roots, and at the very least will drastically slow down top growth (and could even end up killing the plant altogether (though this is only a guess)) and he suggested I put it in just a slightly larger pot (was suggested even 2" larger) and maybe scrape some soil if I can from between the roots and refill with fresh compost. It's a happy medium I suppose, not the answer I was hoping for, but I think I will give this a try :D

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.