Finally got a Dicksonia antarctica - advice please!

ourarka

Finally got a Dicksonia antarctica - advice please!

Post by ourarka »

Hi guys,

Well I finally entered the world of Dicksonia antarctica and was hoping for some good general advice. It looks like it is a little bit behind, as there are no fronds unfurling, but can feel that they are lurking under the surface. It is in a fairly shady part of the garden, and will just get some very early and very late sun. We do also have some food for it ... I understand feed about fortnightly.

Just wondered about general summer care instructions. Frequency of watering etc ....
Attachments
DSCN1967.JPG
Deedee

Re: Finally got a Dicksonia antarctica - advice please!

Post by Deedee »

Thats Lovely ourarka, i water mine every day in summer unless its been raining heavy, one of mine has all its fronds out but the other one has 12 lurking :D dont know about anyone else but i feed mine once a week with miracle grow along with all the other plants..PS. dont forget to water the trunk as well icon_thumleft
pdid

Post by pdid »

As dee says water every day, or more if you can. You can't give them too much water.

The only thing would have been to put it in a bucket of water for a few hours before planting but I think the horse has bolted!
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

As already mentioned, water it loads especially when it`s warm. when you water it pour the water into the growing point at the top and soak the trunk aswell. I stick a few chicken pellets into the crown from time to time but appart from that i`ve never really done anything to mine except water it loads.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

the rhs advices not to feed for a year when bought as a no roots trunk to encourage rooting.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Lovely...you won't regret getting it! Don't feed in.the crown for the first year but sprinkle well rotted manure or chicken pellets around the base. They don't like or need feeding in the crown much at all. I use seaweed extract half and half with water in the crown once every month from June to Sept.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I just water every day it doesent rain from the top in the summer. icon_thumright
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Thanks everyone - all comments appreciated. I will ease off on feeding the crown this year, and have sprinkled some chicken pellets at the base. I'll keep it damp and look forward to some decent fronds over the coming weeks ......
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Personally I think the palm will cramp its style. Just let me know when you want me to pop around and remove it for you! :wink:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

Its awesome rarka!!

No advice cus I never owned one except enjoy it..

icon_cheers icon_cheers
shanks

Post by shanks »

my previous one i had for many years before the bad winters was just watered on a regular basis occasionally it got some miracle grow but always gave a wonderfull desplay of fronds, nice thick trunk on yours good luck with it and read up about protecting in winter :happy:
andyb

Post by andyb »

Lookin good Ourarka, can't give you any advice as i only recently got a couple myself but would be interested to know where you got it
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Personally I'd move it slightly further away from what else is growing there, the Fatsia will quadruple in size, and so will the Basjoo', and you'll eventually want the D.A. fronds to reach around 5ft. or more in length.
With regards to watering, yes, you cannot over water a D.A. though.

I have never fed any of mine, and I don't know how fertile your own soil is, [it looks ok, going by how healthy your Trachycarpus etc looks]. but good soil preperation, with plenty of humousy leaf-mould in the mix would be an advantage over stone-baked hard clay. :wink: