Moving large dicksonia.

karl66

Moving large dicksonia.

Post by karl66 »

I would like to move my largest one which has approx 5ft of trunk to a slightly more sheltered part of garden. Its pushing out loads of massive fronds a present so should i wait till its finished flushing ?, do they pick up where they left off when moved?. karl.
GaryW

Re: Moving large dicksonia.

Post by GaryW »

I would wait until the fronds are full size and hardened if you want to maintain a good looking fern. Really it should 've been moved in the spring and yes you will set it back a bit for next year due to root disturbance.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

It was only planted about last november so i would not imagine to many big roots have developed, the main issue for moving is that next door have set up a goalpost for there kids & lets just say there not very good shots!!, dicksonia's must be pretty tough to survive being hauled half way around the world looking like hairy telegragh ploes :lol: . karl.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I would also advise leaving the move until late Autumn when growth had stopped. That said nothing really bad will happen. Consider winter sun in the new location, having winter sun can mean the difference between life or death.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Tom2006 wrote:. Consider winter sun in the new location, having winter sun can mean the difference between life or death.
Moved a 9ft trunker for that very reason a few months ago. Brings all my 4 Dicksonia antarctica's together into one area as well.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I am sure that's one major factor for why I lost so many winter 10. Altho the perfect sheltered spot in summer it had no winter sun and they froze solid.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Tom , its only my 9ft trunker that remains affected by "that" winter. This years fronds are smaller , only about 2ft but there are loads of them. Hopefully we'll have another mild one this winter and all will be back to norm with it.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Hopefully matey. Mine are in the best health of any I have kept but they didn't go below freezing last winter. Even my two that scrapped through that winter are showing signs of fighting back, like you say, another normal/mild winter will really help.