Didn't know this could be done to a Cyathea

MonkeyDavid

Didn't know this could be done to a Cyathea

Post by MonkeyDavid »

Came across this on GOTE forum http://www.growingontheedge.net/viewtop ... 154f1b9efe

One of my Cooperi's has a slight wobble so I might give it a go
Tom2006

Re: Didn't know this could be done to a Cyathea

Post by Tom2006 »

Impressive stuff! I wonder if those roots will die back though?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Tom2006 wrote:Impressive stuff! I wonder if those roots will die back though?
Thats what i thought and i wonder does it add real strength to a "wobbly" trunk trunk. My feeling is no . Bury the aerial roots and i think it would but left as is i'm doubtful.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

:lol: I thought the first pic was it ..... wedge a phone under it :lol: :lol:

I have not tried it myself but it has been done on Dicksonia antarctica. The trunk is the rhizome covered by roots and fibre, so the thickening is permanent :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Troppoz »

This is the concern I have with how some people grow Dicksonias, planted too shallow to get maximum height. I think it comes at the expense of a decent root system and a wide spreading crown though but each to their own, I know this is a controversial position I hold... icon_silent
Arlon Tishmarsh

Dave Brown wrote: so the thickening is permanent :wink:
yep but the narrow core at the bottom is still a weak point and in my view, unless buried deeper it will continue to be a weak point susceptible to wind rock etc The additional root is not really providing any real strength imo
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I am going to check my Medularis later to see if its planted deep enough. I have always planted my Dicksonia antarctica a good 10-12" deep and they seem to like this. A very interesting technique though.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

It looks like something just washed up on the beach, I wouldn't want that abomination in my garden. I'd rather just plant it deeper.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

greendragon wrote:It looks like something just washed up on the beach, I wouldn't want that abomination in my garden. I'd rather just plant it deeper.
Without knowing the circumstances it is difficult to comment. I know that unlike Dicksonia antarctica, Cyathea cannot be cut down and rooted, it has to be transplanted with a rootball. That may govern how deep you plant them.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by pdid »

I saw that and it`s an excellent post.

I read through GOTE regularly and there have been a good number of recent threads on cyathea`s that are well worth a read. The guy who posted the technique either owns or works for a nursery in Holland which supplies cyathea.

I think (although i`m not certain) that most of Simon`s (amulree) small cyathea stock was supplied by this nursery. This thread:
http://www.growingontheedge.net/viewtop ... it=brownii
mentions a brownii bought from Simon which was supplied by his nursery and he gives detail of how old etc. the plant is.

The lower part of my Brownii is similar to the last picture.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Dave Brown wrote:
greendragon wrote:That may govern how deep you plant them.
I wonder if the fact that it sent roots out into the "made up" soil suggests the rootball could be buried deeper. It would be no different to a Dicksonia antarctica log rooting etc even tho, as you say, cyathea without a rootball is defo a no goer
mumfie

Post by mumfie »

i discovered this by chance on my dicksonia after unwrapping this year. identical circumstances except the aerial roots were growing in to damp straw (but to a lesser extent). i mentioned it in cordy's "unwrapping the mummy" thread and the general response hinted that i had either done something wrong or was talking rubbish. i was convinced at what i was seeing and i'm glad it's now been confirmed. (i believe i even questioned the possibility of using the technique to fatten the trunk if my memory serves).

: just found it on page 10 of the unwrapping the mummy thread