ID evergreen ground fern

allangreenbean

ID evergreen ground fern

Post by allangreenbean »

Can anyone give me an ID on this evergreen ground fern.

Yeah, I know I should know what it is since I planted it but that was before I started paying attention to what they are called rather than just picking things because they looked good before doing any sort of research.

I planted it about 2 or so years ago possibly 3 years. Its actually growing in a hole I dug out and it seems to like it in there. The theory was that it would get some shading from the sun and it would stay moist.

Its about 80cm across and the fronds are about the same.
Attachments
mysteryfern1.jpg
mysteryfern2.jpg
fern Rob

Re: ID evergreen ground fern

Post by fern Rob »

Hi,
Don't quote me on this as ground ferns are not my strong points, but after doing some research it could be the native ground fern Dryopteris filix-mas as it seems to resemble your picture and grow in a semi shaded position. :D
Hope this helps.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

dryoptreris affinis becuase of the tougher look imho
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

I'd agree more likely Dryopteris affinis. Can you get a close-up pic of a frond stem, please? That'll help confirm it.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Hi,
I'm only familiar with Tree ferns but could the tougher look be to do with the pinnate being more mature as it has gone through the season?
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Here is a picture of the stems, no brilliantly clear but hopefully will help with ID.
Attachments
mysteryfern3.jpg
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

My opinion is that it is Dryopteris filix-mas but with the amount of ground fern in the world you would have to have the two at the side of each other to be 100% sure.
icon_thumleft
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Yep, agree now with Dryopteris filix-mas - not enough scales on the stem for D. affinis.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Apparently the overall canopy spread of a D Filix- mas is 1.5M but that can take 5 to10 years :D . As it only got the one crown or as it multiple. :?:
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

I think it could be felix-mas but it is so difficult to tell as so many ferns look very similar.

I am surprised how hardy it has been considering its semi-evergreen nature.

As it has been said mine looks quite hardened.

I also have a Cristata, at least that's a lot easier to identify, that one is looking sorry for itself though. I have moved it recently to a much more shaded and sheltered spot so hoping it will recover.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I think filix- mas is a native so it should be hardy :)
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

fern Rob wrote:I think filix- mas is a native so it should be hardy :)
Yep, it is, on both counts.
Dim

Post by Dim »

I have several dryopteris filix mas ferns planted in a garden, and the colour is a lighter green than what is shown on the OP's photo (for this time of year)

Whenever I have a query about ferns, I take a pic and contact shadyplants .... they respond quickly and are very knoweleagble ... I also buy loads of ferns from them :

http://www.shadyplants.net/
Dryopteris

Post by Dryopteris »

A bit of an old topic but this is not Dryopteris filix-mas. You can see a dark blackish spot where the pinnae meet the rachis which is characteristic for Dryopteris affinis (agg.).
D. filix-mas is not evergreen while affinis is. Affinis has more scales and it has shiny more leathery leafs.

Bart.