Mild late winter/early spring gets the Dicksonia antarctica all flushed

fern Rob

Re: Mild late winter/early spring gets the Dicksonia antarct

Post by fern Rob »

Dave Brown wrote:
fern Rob wrote:In nature their crown would not be a sunken
It is not sunken on ours either. it is the last flush of fronds were still almost upright when chainsawed off, and once cut the stipes don't move outward, just leaving a flat plate above the crown.
The old frond bases are stuck in place by the time the arrive, next to impossible to move the old ones back.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

fern Rob wrote:
The old frond bases are stuck in place by the time the arrive, next to impossible to move the old ones back.
Starting freom the outside, pull them outwards as much as you can and snip at that point. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fern Rob »

If I do that then I could move the new fronds forwards as they are movable at this point and place some fleece in the crown to keep it open, and keep the fronds in place.
waggy1

Post by waggy1 »

Dave Brown wrote:
fern Rob wrote:I wonder if I was to cut the Dicksonia antarctica from inside of the crown outwards if that would retain its shape better.
I always do it from underneath. Pulling the frond down until as much of the stipe is visible, then snip at that point. :wink:
Thanks. I did this to one of my ferns which had a chainsaw cut and the crown was low down. The fern looks better and the the fronds, which have a thick girth, are on the move. My other fern already had a rounded top when i bought it and fronds have already emerged, but they don't have the girth of the other fern.