Mild late winter/early spring gets the Dicksonia antarctica all flushed

fern Rob

Re: Mild late winter/early spring gets the Dicksonia antarct

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:None of mine have ever narrowed, but then again I lost all my older ones. I will always try to keep the fronds cut quite far down after they have died, but all mine currently seem to gradually push the dead frond bases outwards. icon_thumleft
Picture 3 looks like it is narrowing.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The problem is when they chain saw the fronds off including those almost upright. As the stipes harden in the upright position they don't move out as the living stipes would have done. That is what restricts the new croziers from emerging properly. I pull the stipes sideways and cut off as close to the base as possible which allows mover emergence room :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

fern Rob wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:None of mine have ever narrowed, but then again I lost all my older ones. I will always try to keep the fronds cut quite far down after they have died, but all mine currently seem to gradually push the dead frond bases outwards. icon_thumleft
I bought the fern in picture three in 2011. The bottom of the robin's feet was where the first flush came from so you can see its growth since then and how the old fronds are pushing out. That said, I will keep an eye on it. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Dave Brown wrote:The problem is when they chain saw the fronds off including those almost upright. As the stipes harden in the upright position they don't move out as the living stipes would have done. That is what restricts the new croziers from emerging properly. I pull the stipes sideways and cut off as close to the base as possible which allows mover emergence room :wink:
I thought that may have been the case with Dicksonia antarctica.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:
fern Rob wrote:
I bought the fern in picture three in 2011. The bottom of the robin's feet was where the first flush came from so you can see its growth since then and how the old fronds are pushing out. That said, I will keep an eye on it. icon_thumleft
I think I have a problem with one of my old Dicksonia antarctica as the crown is nearly non exsistant, I think I will be working on the Dicksonia antarctica tomorrow.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Dave Brown wrote:The problem is when they chain saw the fronds off including those almost upright. As the stipes harden in the upright position they don't move out as the living stipes would have done. That is what restricts the new croziers from emerging properly. I pull the stipes sideways and cut off as close to the base as possible which allows mover emergence room :wink:
Of course it could be that having had all it's fronds and root system cut off it doesn't have the energy to push the old stipes open :wink: Either way, producing the dome shape with the emerging croziers at the top seemed to help on mine :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fern Rob »

I wonder if I was to cut the Dicksonia antarctica from inside of the crown outwards if that would retain its shape better.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

fern Rob wrote:I wonder if I was to cut the Dicksonia antarctica from inside of the crown outwards if that would retain its shape better.
I always do it from underneath. Pulling the frond down until as much of the stipe is visible, then snip at that point. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fern Rob »

Thanks for that, I will do that if the weather improves.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

I have a feeling this has probably already been explained, but can't quite get my head round the answer so a 'dummy's guide' might be needed! Each year my Dicksonia antarctica sends out fronds from a circle within last year's. Therefore will there not come a time when there physically isn't enough room for many/any fronds to emerge? How do you get it to start sending them up from the outer edge again?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Think of it as a Yucca, Agave or Palm. It grows in exactly the same way :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by ourarka »

..... go on .... ( oh dear, we are finding big gaps in my knowledge of how plants work!)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

The new fronds push the old dead ones outwards.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

In nature their crown would not be a sunken
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

fern Rob wrote:In nature their crown would not be a sunken
It is not sunken on ours either. it is the last flush of fronds were still almost upright when chainsawed off, and once cut the stipes don't move outward, just leaving a flat plate above the crown.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright