Mild late winter/early spring gets the Dicksonia antarctica all flushed

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Mild late winter/early spring gets the Dicksonia antarctica all flushed

Post by Dave Brown »

This is a collection of Pics showing my DannyBoy Dicksonia antarctica, in April from 2009 to 2012.

From the Pic 2011 was the furthest advanced but we had above ave temps from Jan thru Apr. 2010 was the least advanced but had a cold Jan and Feb, ave March, but above ave April. 2012 did not see any real high temps here, even though many inland areas had a mini summer in March. My perception was that April 2012 was rubbish, as cold and wet, but the Dicksonia antarctica seemed to disagree. lol

From my observations it seems the first flush is brought on by a gradual awakening after winter, and that a sudden warm April after a cold late winter and early spring, doesn't cut much ice with the Dicksonia antarctica. The main thing is that the really cold December 2010, was forgotten by flush time due to a mild Jan, Feb and Mar 2011. :)

Year Jan Feb Mar Apr
2009 2.7,4.4,7.5,11.3
2010 1.8,3.5,6.9,10.1
2011 4.6,6.7,6.9,13.5
2012 6.1,4.8,8.9, 9.5
Attachments
DannyBoy DA April History.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Mild late winter/early spring gets the Dicksonia antarct

Post by kata »

What is it doing this year Dave?

I don't have any of thos kind of plants but it looks like though not fully opened 2012 was your best. My reason is it has more.
icon_cheers
pdid

Post by pdid »

Great pics Dave, I would say the 1st pic from 2009 has a similar narrow crown as Rob`s recent purchase. You can see that it has expanded/ swollen in the 2010 pic and has presented no problems to the fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

pdid wrote:Great pics Dave, I would say the 1st pic from 2009 has a similar narrow crown as Rob`s recent purchase. You can see that it has expanded/ swollen in the 2010 pic and has presented no problems to the fern.
It didn't expand Phil, That is the one I cut away. You can see the definite line is gone from 2010 pic onward. I cut it by pulling the stipes outward (as they would have grown, and cutting them flush with the trunk. This gave a dome which allowed the crown to open.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Had a look and the first pic in 2009 'flatcut' the second pic is just after cutting the 'flatcut' stipes away.
Attachments
2009-04-16 Dannyboy DA.jpg
2010-04-27 DannyBoy DA.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GoggleboxUK »

That's a very tidy crown compared to some I have seen.

It would be interesting and informative to see a video of a tree fern 'haircut' in progress as I would like to do that with mine.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

GoggleboxUK wrote:That's a very tidy crown compared to some I have seen.

It would be interesting and informative to see a video of a tree fern 'haircut' in progress as I would like to do that with mine.
Unfortunately I don't have any left to do now, so can't video it.

If you look at the top of the 2 pics you grasp a stipe (Frond base) and slightly pull outwards, then follow down to where the stipe disappears into the fur and cut there :wink: Do outer layer first working you way in :D
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote:What is it doing this year Dave?

I don't have any of thos kind of plants but it looks like though not fully opened 2012 was your best. My reason is it has more.
icon_cheers
It is not doing anything yet Kata. Yes, the crown is building up in size as it becomes more established icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Dave Brown wrote:
GoggleboxUK wrote:That's a very tidy crown compared to some I have seen.

Unfortunately I don't have any left to do now, so can't video it.

If you look at the top of the 2 pics you grasp a stipe (Frond base) and slightly pull outwards, then follow down to where the stipe disappears into the fur and cut there :wink: Do outer layer first working you way in :D
Excellent, thanks Dave

;)
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

I've got one Dicksonia antarctica still surviving out of 5. Very tiny fronds by the looks of it. I am trying to see if I can bring it back to it's former glorious self watering twice a day and feeding.

Just today received a three footer from Seagraves. Looks like some very nice curled up fronds so this evening it will be well pampered in its new home with as much composted material as I can find.

Will also look at cutting back the old stipes as you have done. Makes sense to me but am a tad nervous so will take things slowly. Will try to take some photos.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

When I got mine from Seagraves the 3ft was cut clean across the top while the 4ft wasn't. I decided I'd leave them as is and monitor the difference in growth.

The flat top has been slower to emerge but they seem to be appearing evenly and cleanly:

Compare this to the 4ft scruffy top which has stopped, started, stalled, wriggled and contorted fronds to get them out of the tighter packed crown:

In future, both my tree ferns will be getting a Johnny Bravo haircut just before things start to wake up. It seems to definitely help.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Quite agree Dave. My Seagraves Dicksonia antarctica has a messy crown with the crown deep down and not only does it produce only 6-7 fronds per flush but they come out at funny angles initially. My Dicksonia antarctica's from a different source with a nice flat top push out loads and in a nice even manner. I will get some photos now.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

This first one is my new one from Seagraves.

If I understood DB correctly he was suggesting that when the stipes in the crown dry off and are hard then the new growth can not push the old out of the way and therefore the crown becomes ever narrower.

The outer cut stipes feel quite soft and springy in this new one so I'm not sure if it needs any help. The new growth looks good, I think there are maybe half a dozen croziers down there.

I don't think I can achieve the growth DB has managed, I'm simply not there enough during the day to water it.

IMG_4373.JPG
This second one I've had for about five years, it is poorly having been hit by the last few winters. In 2011 it only came into growth around September.

I've pulled out some of the old stipes, they were really quite loose. The crown is now opened up. I am trying to water twice a day and feed regularly.

You can see two aborted very small croziers if you look hard. That I think was my fault. The weather had been good for a while in April but suspecting a frost I crunched up some bubble wrap to protect the crown. Stupid me forgot to take it off for a week or two and I think it got too toasty in there resulting in the burst of growth.

There are also two decent looking croziers just visible towards the bottom of the picture.

it might just be possible to get this back to it's previous glorious self - see the last picture.
IMG_4375.JPG

The one at the front is the one I am replacing, the one at the back is the poorly one I am trying to rejuvenate.
P6291079.JPG
kata

Post by kata »

the crown is building up in size as it becomes more established
Ah, that will take time for my only one bought this spring, Thanks Dave.

G, why has yours appeared fully clothed.... :lol: :lol:

This rain, and I do mean rain must do mine a world of good if they love rain.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

DAVIDEVANS wrote:This first one is my new one from Seagraves.

If I understood DB correctly he was suggesting that when the stipes in the crown dry off and are hard then the new growth can not push the old out of the way and therefore the crown becomes ever narrower.

The outer cut stipes feel quite soft and springy in this new one so I'm not sure if it needs any help. The new growth looks good, I think there are maybe half a dozen croziers down there.

I don't think I can achieve the growth DB has managed, I'm simply not there enough during the day to water it.

IMG_4373.JPG
This second one I've had for about five years, it is poorly having been hit by the last few winters. In 2011 it only came into growth around September.

I've pulled out some of the old stipes, they were really quite loose. The crown is now opened up. I am trying to water twice a day and feed regularly.

You can see two aborted very small croziers if you look hard. That I think was my fault. The weather had been good for a while in April but suspecting a frost I crunched up some bubble wrap to protect the crown. Stupid me forgot to take it off for a week or two and I think it got too toasty in there resulting in the burst of growth.

There are also two decent looking croziers just visible towards the bottom of the picture.

it might just be possible to get this back to it's previous glorious self - see the last picture.
IMG_4375.JPG

The one at the front is the one I am replacing, the one at the back is the poorly one I am trying to rejuvenate.
P6291079.JPG

Can you get it near to any water? One of my two that made it through winter 2010 only put out 1 foot fronds at best last summer in 2011. I potted it up and put it next to my pond and it loved it, putting out loads of fronds all last year, and they were back to 2-3+ feet in length.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.