Hardy Evergreen ferns..what have you got.

Delboy

Re: Hardy Evergreen ferns..what have you got.

Post by Delboy »

Yes some of mine look like someone has been sitting on them.
Mixed moso

Post by Mixed moso »

Blechnum chilense, spicant, and penna-marina
Cyrtomium falcatum is a favourite of mine.
Lots of dryopteris, aspleniums, and polystichums that I've lost the labels for. Most of my ferns are evergreen, and I take off all the old fronds ruthlessly in the spring (except the blechnums).
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i only removed damaged fronds, no reason to remove healthy fronds at all.
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Delboy, I had the same problem trying to find some rock solid evergreen ferns. I did find that many sites were contradictory and plants I thought were meant to be evergreen weren't and vice versa.

However searching out good hardy evergreen plants has sparked an interest which has turned into kind of a mission and started my own site.

http://www.plantpost.co.uk/ferns.php

Its not ready but you can get a preview of my fern page. It has taken up much more time than I had envisaged, the research takes ages so I can only confirm for sure the plants that I am actually growing.

The only downside to large evergreen ferns is that they tend to snap under the heavy snow we can get and so look a bit squashed afterwards, it doesn't affect the smaller ones though and some are more resilient than others.

Hope it helps and any feedback is appreciated :)
Mixed moso

Post by Mixed moso »

Mr List wrote:i only removed damaged fronds, no reason to remove healthy fronds at all.
I have found mine look better cut back just before the new croziers start to unfurl, but each to their own.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Mixed moso wrote:
Mr List wrote:i only removed damaged fronds, no reason to remove healthy fronds at all.
I have found mine look better cut back just before the new croziers start to unfurl, but each to their own.
Removal of any healthy green foliage will reduce the vigour and health of the plant.
Mixed moso

Post by Mixed moso »

A quick trawl of the internet shows some people recommend cutting back all fronds to improve the vigour and growth of the plant, and some people recommend removing only damaged and discoloured fronds. I have tried both and find that my ferns grow best when all old fronds are cut back in the spring just as new growth is starting. Have you tried this method?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I normally take the Dicksonia antarctica fronds of after winter, it does not seem to do any damage, as most of the nutrients in the leaves has gone back to the crown for next years growth. :D
Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith »

I'm quite interested in these evergreen fens
Polystichum munitum
Polystichum aculeatum
Polystichum polyblepharum

Also quite interested in this non evergreen
Matteuccia struthiopteris- shuttlecock fern

Would any of these be ok with a bit of sun? From what I've read they prefer full to partial shade. If ths is the case then I doubt I have a suitable space available in the garden for them.
Dryopteris

Post by Dryopteris »

To add a few:
Dryopteris cycadina
Dryopteris erythrosora
Polystichum x dycei
Dryopteris affinis (aggr.)
Asplenium scolopendrium

I have many, many more but these are easy to find commercially.

Bart.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Ive found that lophosoria quadripinnata to be evergreen up here. Just a bit of fleece over the top and its taken -11c.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.